TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
power steering pump on my sc is whining horribly, has plenty of fluid. priced new one at autozone and was about 60 bucks. how hard are they to get out and dont you need a special tool to pull of the pulley?

thanks
ryan

·
Registered
201 Posts
They are not hard to take out... just make sure you are careful when taking your line offnot to strip the nut. As far as taking the pulley off, it has a hex(allen screw) you need to remove. Lots of them get so rusty it is very hard to remove them. I would sugguest to taking it with you to Autozone to have them try to remove the pulley for you. They usually have an impact wrench to do this.

Hope this helps...:)
Jeff B

·
Registered
201 Posts
They are not hard to take out... just make sure you are careful when taking your line off not to strip the nut. As far as taking the pulley off, it has a hex(allen screw) you need to remove. Lots of them get so rusty it is very hard to remove them. I would sugguest to taking it with you to Autozone to have them try to remove the pulley for you. They usually have an impact wrench to do this.

Hope this helps...:)
Jeff B

·
Registered
773 Posts
It is a pretty easy job to replace th pump. The Pulley is pressed on and yes it uses a special puller that auto zone has and will lend you to do the swap. On my 5.0 i was able to remove the pulley while the pump was still in the car. That let me pull the pump with out removing the bracket that mounts the pump to the motor. Dont know if you can do the same on your Super Coupe or not! hope this helps!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't recall any type of set screw on my pullies, but you will need a PS pump pulley puller and install kit. Also the bracket between the PS and Water pump is kind of a ***** and most people to not reinstall it. Remember the new pump will take ATF not power steering fluid and don't hammer the new pulley on, use the install tool.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
went to buy a new pump today but how do i find out if my power steering is variable assist or not. i thought all tbirds had assist or am i wrong

·
Registered
51 Posts
All SC's have variable assist. I don't know about other models.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can also buy the non variable assist and just transfer your old one onto the new. I know the non variable is a little cheaper.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have you tried flushing the pump and refilling with good quality synthetic PS fluid? (pretty much all Ford PS pumps whine at one time or another). Give that a try before spending money on a new pump that will probably end up whining just as bad.....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found out had a leaking line that conveintly dumped the fluid into the bumper cover, so i added a jusg and and half of fluid as shes all good. and sitting in her winter home till spring

1 - 10 of 10 Posts