1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've always used Mercon in my power steering pump and I've never had a single problem with it.

She leaks it all out in 3 weeks anyways because my return hose has a hole in it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
same here always used tranny fluid in whatever vehicles i had of my own { dont know bout the wifes new gm van as i dont work on it !!! } and never any problems . funny im on fte all the time , the 48-60 forum and elsewhere , and look at the recalls etc. don't recall seeing that ...............

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Whatever is not listed on that TSB(pre-96), if you want to split hairs, should have TYPE F transmission fluid or bottled power steering fluid meeting Ford specs.

I was told it has something to do with the seals in the system. Notice how they don't list anything older than 96, there is a reason.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Whatever is not listed on that TSB(pre-96), if you want to split hairs, should have TYPE F transmission fluid or bottled power steering fluid meeting Ford specs.

I was told it has something to do with the seals in the system. Notice how they don't list anything older than 96, there is a reason.
What is that reason? I was just about to replace my fluid with Mercon V. The fluid that is in there now looks almost like ovaltine.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I've always used Mercon III on all vehicles no matter make, model, or year.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mean to start a fluid war lol.

I think I am going to go with the recommendation by the TCCoA article. Since It's going to be flushed by cheapo fluid, I think I would rather fill it up with something 'similar?

However are there any dangers if I say mixed the 'steering wheel fluid' with mercon V?(I have plenty left over from my 'save up and buy quarts $20 at a time to get points at autozone)

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The main reason for the TSB is that Ford hasn't produced, or sold the rights for anyone else to produce, Mercon fluid in over 2 years. While there still might be some old stock out there, July 2007 was the last time it was made.

There should not be any issues at all mixing the fluids, power steering fluid with transmission fluid, or different types of transmission fluids.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
What is that reason? I was just about to replace my fluid with Mercon V. The fluid that is in there now looks almost like ovaltine.
Again, I was told by a dealer here that he won't take a risk with pre 95 and use mercon V, because Ford never sanctioned anything else. If someones system does fail, even in a car that age Ford would make the dealer replace everything because they screwed up(he said it happened, and it may not have been fluid related but they did use the wrong fluid so they are on the hook). Type F cost less anyway, its no big deal.

Same with transfer cases, they have a special "Motorcraft Transfer case fluid" or use the old mercon "compatible"(from another brand). They don't suggest Mercon V for xfer cases, but I'm sure people use it and nothing happens.

I personally go by whatever my manual says, unless there is a tsb saying otherwise.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

I didn't mean to start a fluid war lol.

I think I am going to go with the recommendation by the TCCoA article. Since It's going to be flushed by cheapo fluid, I think I would rather fill it up with something 'similar?

However are there any dangers if I say mixed the 'steering wheel fluid' with mercon V?(I have plenty left over from my 'save up and buy quarts $20 at a time to get points at autozone)
flush it with cheap mercon from walmart. The generic ps fluid is not suggested. Why? I don't know exactly. But I wouldn't take a chance especially on a 13 yo car. Probably nothing will happen though....

I wouldn't worry about mixing the fluids though, nothing could be worse than what is in there now.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
flush it with cheap mercon from walmart. The generic ps fluid is not suggested.
I don't believe mercon V is sold at walmart last time I checked.

I flushed it with whatever I had around the house that said steering fluid on it. I know think I should be fine since it's better than what I had.

Anyway I think the key for this to work is to get a clear liquid power steering fluid. i think mercon V is red, so that would not have helped me as much.

One thing I noticed about the tech article, is they mention using cheap stuff, than good stuff, and about 4 bottles all together. i have no idea if those were quarts, or the smaller bottles they are talking about. I found two bottles of small and very cheap steering fluid. I had two quarts of valucraft steering fluid (DONT BUY IT, it's naturally darn near black) and 1 quart of Valvoline 75k+ mile premium power steering fluid.

I started with draining, small bottle, turn over and over (engine on) for about a minute, drain, another small botttle, repeat. Than the quarts (valucraft)) were about a half quart each and I started going above the full line, almost to the top, just to do the job a bit quicker, turn for almost two minutes each time, rinse, repeat, 3 more times.

Than the valvoline (clear), I spent the most time with and only filled about up to the full mark, and went back and forth the longest. I than drained and filled, and called it a day.

I noticed the first time I did it the fluid's I used were pretty clear so it was pretty obvious I was getting the dirty stuff out still. It started out as a deep red, but not totaly black, maybe not even brown. Than it started to turn bright red. It tapered off at this brighter red when I used the valucraft, and looked cleaner when I used the valvoline. I am fairly sure I replaced most of it with at least new fluid. If there was a way to flush the system better I would probably do it, but to my knowledge this is the easiest without uninstalling the whole system.

Anyway no more squeals when turning out of a spot going slow, that can be heard outside the car, I think I can hear something inside the car, but it's so faint it's probably how it should be.

If it comes back I will put that mercon V I was saving up to good use lol. I don't think I will ever be purchasing generic PS fluid again after this thread. Still feels good with what random crap I have in there now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts