TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do a PS flush. I have alot of cheap Type F trans fluid. Will this be alright to flush it with. After I flush it I plan on putting in Mercon V or some synthetic stuff. Will the type F linger in the system and cause problems (I know you can't use Type F in OD trannies because it burns up OD or something.
Other wise I do two flush cycles with the tranny fluid, one with cheap PS fluid, and then the good stuff.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard of good stories with Mercon V. It's semi-synthetic hydraulic fluid so since trannies and PS pumps are hydraulics pumps its fine.
I found out it's Mercon III that I have lots of so i'm gonna clean it with that and then put some syn or MercV in.
BTW. How do you flush yours. The turkey baster method?

·
Premium Member
8,239 Posts
jimbo,

don't use type f fluid in there.

I got a few bottles of cheapo power steering fluid at a discount store for 99 cents a bottle. I saw them and ended up buying six bottles.

Then I went to the auto parts store, and picked up a bottle of valvoline synthetic power steering fluid.

I flushed with the cheap stuff, and it seriously took almost 5 bottles before it was clear how i wanted it.

Then i drained it again, and put the good stuff in.

Total cost was under ten bucks, and about an hour of my time, and the power steering stopped squeeking at me, and the car seems to turn alot better since i've done it.

Now, once a year I like to dump the ps overflow bottle out, and refill it one time with synthetic stuff.

Yes you can use mercon v if you want.

Justin

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah my dad's got a bunch of MercIII free from work so I was gonna use that to flush and then MercV or some synthetic stuff.
What does it take to fill up. 1 quart?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.