TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had always noticed this ever since i first got my 97 LX sport, the wheel was really hard to turn, well not hard, just stiffer ( a lot stiffer than my 93). what gave me this idea to write this was when my dad drove the car the other day and he told me that he loves my car, but wasnt sure about the stiff wheel. i personaly like the wheel, especially on the freeway, but sometimes i do think its pretty stiff. one thing i noticed though was when i let my car warm up for like 15-20 minutes before i drove it and the wheel seems to be much easier to turn then, it happens all the time. when the car its cold, its always harder. now is this a problem, or do all you guys have the same wheel feel. thanks. any comments???

·
Registered
50 Posts
Off and on yes.
My Mercury Dealer reflashed the Variable PS boost program on the computer(didn't fix it but it was free) I just change the PS fluid once a year and have the variable assist unhooked which made mine heavy for "street driving" but this is the first car I owned with PS anyway so it doesn't bug me.
Drove a 96 MK8 LSC today with a correctly functioning variable assist and it was too light. If I pick it up guess whats getting unplugged...

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, cool, so i guess that there is nothing wrong with it then?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've noticed that my '97 has stiff steering. My concern was that the rack&pinion unit was starting to fail, a rebuilt unit is not that expensive but a royal pita to change and realign everything. Red

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I agree with Justin, flush, flush, flush....

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 93 used to be the same way, the first time i flushed the fluid it looked like the stuff at the bottom of a glass of choclate milk. After that i flush mine every 6 months, and it's been smooth as silk ever since.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JustinH said:
I would flush the system with mercon v fluid until it is clear, and not dark brown.

JH

ok...just a few questions...mercon v...we are talking about the same fluid that goes on the trans right...just wondering...then after its flushed...do i leave the mercon v in there??? or refill it with other fluid...also where can i find some instructions on how to flush my system...thanks so far guys...

·
8,239 Posts
there is some instructions in the tech articles how to flush your power steering, yes mercon v is the same transmission fluid as the fluid that goes in the power steering rack.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JustinH said:
yes mercon v is the same transmission fluid as the fluid that goes in the power steering rack.

thanks alot...i never knew that they were the same...they are true...you do learn something new everyday...well and also look like a dumba** like me....lol

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
there is also a older tsb about a spring in the neckof the rack , if i remember correctly its for tightness of steering, too loose or too tight .

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jk89cat said:
there is also a older tsb about a spring in the neckof the rack , if i remember correctly its for tightness of steering, too loose or too tight .

do the later cars, the modulars have that???

·
Registered
25 Posts
on the power steering pump there seems to be sensor hooked up to the high pressure side line, how hard is it to replace? mine just started leaking.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
yes smoky the mod motor cars have that issue, thats what the tsb is actually for. but it is rectified in all ford reman racks, and the racks are the same for 89-97 acorrding to my catalog

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
interesting...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts