TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know the easiest way to flush out the p/s. When the weather turns colder, the steering wheel is hard to turn, after the car warms up, it is back to normal. Maybe I have the wrong fluid in the pump. BTW, what fluid should be used?

·
5,650 Posts
Easiest way is to jack up the front of the car, take off the return line (rubber line that goes to the bottom of the pump) and put it into a bucket/drain pan. Have someone crank the motor and turn the wheel lock to lock (pull #13 fuse to disable fuel pump). Keep pouring fresh fluid in the reservoir being careful not to let it run dry. Watch the color of the fluid coming out of the return line. When it becomes clear, stop, reconnect the return line, and fill up the reservoir to full. Have the person helping you crank the engine again and turn the wheel lock to lock, and make sure to add fluid if it goes down. Again, don't let it run dry. Once the level stabilizes, plug the fuse back in, start the engine, check the fluid one more time and then you're done.

I have always used plain old power steering fluid but I've heard of others using 1/2 PS fluid and 1/2 Mercon V, or all Mercon V. Don't know which is the best though.

BTW, when the fluid gets really cold its viscosity greatly increases. This would mean the pump can't push the fluid through the system as easily when you first start it up. What you are experiencing might be normal, but in any case it wouldn't hurt to change the fluid if it's old.

·
Registered
536 Posts
laminarflow said:
Need to know the easiest way to flush out the p/s. When the weather turns colder, the steering wheel is hard to turn, after the car warms up, it is back to normal. Maybe I have the wrong fluid in the pump. BTW, what fluid should be used?
Why don't you splurge and buy a couple of quarts of Mobil I synthetic ATF. I have this in several cars for 10+ years now.

Mitch

1 - 3 of 3 Posts