TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried installing power window roll up modules (basically a timer and a relay in a box, to roll your windows up or down, which you can hook to a keyless entry system). On my 95 cougar, however, it would only stay on long enough to roll up or down about 1/3 the way. Does anyone know if our power windows act different than others(draw more current than most do, or do something weird)?

Thanks
Garrett

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, it was very smooth, working in perfect condition. I think the problem is the relay dosent stay on long enough for our windows. Are our windows slower than most power windows?

·
Registered
43 Posts
You've probably got a cheap module. I had the same problem with a $35 module I had on my Mark VIII. It actually worked for about a year, but then started to malfunction and eventually stopped working altogether. It actually caused problems with the window operation where I had to unsplice all the wiring and physically remove the unit just to get the window to roll up and down again.

I account all the problems I had on the quality of the window module I purchased.

Kale

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I thought about ordering some different ones. On ebay, all of them are around $10-15 each plus sh. For now I just got my keyless installed and decided not to fuss with it. Just adding keyless is so nice...

·
Registered
216 Posts
You need a Directed Electronics 530t window module. Works like a champ and is independently ( right & left ) adjustable. It will turn both buttons on the drivers door into auto down and up switches. I have had one in my 91 bird for a while now and no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mlbuxbaum said:
You need a Directed Electronics 530t window module. Works like a champ and is independently ( right & left ) adjustable. It will turn both buttons on the drivers door into auto down and up switches. I have had one in my 91 bird for a while now and no problems at all.
directed.com shows $140. Do you know a more resonable place to purchase this? My other window modules cost $10 each. I was hoping to stay in that pricerange.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You're gonna continue to have problems if you insist on using cheap modules. Do yourself a favor and soend the $140 for a module that works.

Kale

·
Registered
216 Posts
gunna wind up haunting you in the long run.....trust me......

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So would not paying rent because I bought overpriced window modules...

I can build my own for 10 bucks in parts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I understand that, but relays do not have current sensing circuits, timers or anything else in them to prevent them from catching on fire or melting from an over current situation when the window gears break, as is known to happen with our window motors. But anyway, do what you feel comfortable with, I'm just speaking from years of experiance.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I build a timer(about 3 seconds aught to do it) and hook it to the a relay, there wont be any problem. Even if the window motor isnt working or jammed, it will only be on for a few seconds and isnt much of a fire hazard. That is probably the same way the overpriced window modules work. Its probably the same way the cheap ones work, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The aftermarket modules have current sensing circuitry. When your motors get old and start pulling too many amps, the el cheapo modules will start to malfunction. The current sensing is there to stop the window in case a hand or any other foreign item gets between the window and the window opening.

Feel free to use a timer relay if you like, just keep in mind the hazards you may encounter.

Kale

·
Registered
216 Posts
Kale,
Thats what I said. Wow, 2 people with the same advice...coincidence.....or experience????:2huh:

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I know I can build better modules than what is sold in the $10-15 price range, and, I can still afford to pay my rent. Sorry for having enough electrical expertise to design my own things, and not being rich enough to take your advice.

·
Registered
43 Posts
mastarecoil said:
Well, I know I can build better modules than what is sold in the $10-15 price range, and, I can still afford to pay my rent. Sorry for having enough electrical expertise to design my own things, and not being rich enough to take your advice.
So why ask the question in the first place? I could build my own based upon a single, $25 (adjustable) timer relay too, but it's not going to work as well.

I found out that I wanted the rollup just to have it, I thought it was cool. After having it on the car for a while, I realized I really didn't care for it anymore. When it broke and I couldn't roll down my window, it created a situation that FORCED me to have to diagnose the problem, which I originally thought was a bad motor. This took more time than I cared to waste on it and I eventually realized that it never really was anything special.

Kale

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I am sorry to hear your window controls did not work. I dont expect to have those problems. For you it may not have been anything real special, but for me, it will be a very helpful tool.

Perhaps you need to reread my originoal post. Answers to my origional question are what drove me to deciding to build my own window roll up devices. The question was very justified to ask.

***EDITED FOR UNNECESSARY COMMENTS***

·
Registered
43 Posts
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Dude, I don't know what your problem is but you need to reread everything I posted above and imagine for one second that I was only trying to help you.

Just to clarify, you said in your original post that you were having problems with a window roll up module, that they wouldn't even work right. I offered a reason. That being the quality of the module you are using. Now you can agree or disagree, but since you asked for opinions, I gave you mine. YES, our cars ARE prone to having problems with window roll up modules, esp. the cheap ones. They may work in other cars, but they do not work in ours (at least not for long anyways).

Then you went on to say you could build your own. Judging from the way you are proposing to build the device, a couple of people think it is unsafe, especially if you ever plan on having child passengers in your car.

That's it. I certainly didn't mean any disrespect and I honestly don't see how you could have taken my comments the wrong way. So good luck with your module...

Kale

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, first of all, my solution will work, it will be safe, and despite what anyone here says, its laughable to pay $140 for a solution when one has the capabilities to do it himself. Maybe you were tring to be helpful, but you have a case of tunnel vision here. The best option is not to spend $140.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts