TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local dealer just took in a 2008 6.4L PSD F-350 XL (SuperCrew, 4x4, Auto, SRW, 8' Bed) on trade, 99,989 miles on the clock. Was a "work truck" for a company but the salesman couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me anything more about the history on it.

I've been looking for a 7.3L PSD if I could find one for the right price. I was trying to stay away from the newer ones after the early 6.0 issues and just not knowing anything about the 6.4 and 6.7. Consequently, I'm a little in the dark about what to look for on the 6.4L engines. I'm going through a few diesel forums right now to get some more information.

For those with some experience with these engines, any input on things to look at, possible issues, etc. would be welcome. Don't know how serious I'll get about this one since I kind of enjoy life without a car payment, but if I can get this thing for cheaper than what I'm seeing 7.3Ls for, I may jump on it.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Local ford dealer I used to work for said the 6.4 is still problematic like the 6.0, they have issues with egr coolers leaking, still a chore from my buddies I used to work with

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Stay away from it...the 6.4 had issues just like the 6.0, and repair bills are high on them...Plus, the need for DEF fluid on the new diesels....stick with a good 7.3 or a new 6.7, but that of course will be the most expensive of the three, at least up front.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stay away from it...the 6.4 had issues just like the 6.0, and repair bills are high on them...Plus, the need for DEF fluid on the new diesels....stick with a good 7.3 or a new 6.7, but that of course will be the most expensive of the three, at least up front.
I don't know as much about the 6.4L, but the 6.7 is the only one that requires the urea fluid. 6.4L PSDs have the DPF and other associated crap as mandated by our friends the EPA, but the DEF wasn't on the 6.4Ls (again, as far as I know). 6.7 is still too new to work into what I could reasonably spend on a truck. Plus, if I had the money for that, I'd probably still get a 7.3L PSD and spend the rest on a 2004 Z06 :)

I did see a few posts on the diesel forums along the lines of "I wouldn't own one out of warranty" and "Last week they put on a complete new fuel system, due to finding shavings in the fuel system. HPFP, injectors, rails, fuel cooler, etc. Would have been over $10K if not covered under warranty. " Doesn't really fill me with warm fuzzies . . . especially if I don't know any history on this thing or why it was traded in outside of, "company got some new trucks."

·
Registered
844 Posts
Weren't the 6.4's the ones that had the recall for the "Thermal Event", that, when trying to burn off the DPF, would shoot flame out the tail pipe?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
lol yes the 6.4 had the recall for flames coming out the exhaust during regen , very very few actually had the flames come out. 6.0 and 6.4 are not that bad they were just gap motors to pass emissions and get out from under international. Problem is they didnt get there chance to be bad then improved on. The 7.3/6.9 were bigger pieces of junk then the 6.0/6.4 when they started but were later worked on and fixed. Most dont remember or werent around for it.
Take the 6.0 - Bad owners and bad mechanics make them worse. Alot of owners treat them like semi's or race cars and double/triple stack the programing or mechanics that throw the kitchen sink at them cuz it wont start or cuz a single inj is bad. I have many 6.0/6.4 side job customers who now love there trucks again. There trucks dont need work now but there friends do and they send em to me. lol
Knowledge for the owner and for the mechanic goes along way on these trucks if you own 1.

Just my thoughts as a Ford Certified Diesel Tech :)

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Honestly, I've heard that many of the 6.0/6.4 issues come from lack of maintenance, which I believe, working on the parts counter, I've had my fair share of customers flip out and yell about the prices of diesel filters and oil, etc.

People fail to realize that diesel maintanance is more involved and more expensive than a gas engine.

Also, I have heard that many of the issues come from people using their trucks to putt around town, grocery store, etc. never actually "USING" their vehicle for what it was meant for, work. Granted, I don't know much, I am not a diesel tech, and I don't own one...just observations from behind the parts counter...

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I dont have to do much work on the 6.0s beyond regular maintenance. 7.3l is much cheaper to step into and with good maintenance will run for a long time! I see trucks with 300k+ all the time. I would vote for a powerstroke 7.3l, that way you get direct injection too, although on the older ones with indirect injection you can adjust the fuel timing manually and things are much more simple as far as no start diagnosis.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I dont have to do much work on the 6.0s beyond regular maintenance. 7.3l is much cheaper to step into and with good maintenance will run for a long time! I see trucks with 300k+ all the time. I would vote for a powerstroke 7.3l, that way you get direct injection too, although on the older ones with indirect injection you can adjust the fuel timing manually and things are much more simple as far as no start diagnosis.
My dad had a non powerstroke 7.3 turbo F350...IIRC it was a 1994...manual trans, dually, extended cab...NICE NICE NICE truck, and it was a beast! He sold it with nearly 300K on the ODO, and it was still going strong...it needed glow plugs, he was too cheap to replace them, he would start the damn thing with starting fluid on cold days :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: don't even get me started on that....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I think 94 was a wierd year because you could get turbo IDI 7.3l, a turbo DI Powerstroke. I dont know if they still had the non turbo IDI that year. 93 Definitely had the non turbo IDI. I had one that I painted in my shop yesterday! It will move, but its definitely on the weak side. I have a customer with a 85 f-250 6.9l IDI, it is a total dog, but will pull. I would hate to drive that all the time.

·
Registered
622 Posts
All I've done to my 6.0 is the head gaskets and studs under warranty and regular oil changes. Drove the thing for 20k with blown gaskets towiing a 28' enclosed trailer. Just fill the water up before the trip and before the way back. Went 144k before replacing the fuel filter on the rail:(. My buddy that replaced it said it was nasty. Got 166k on it now. I do go thru batteries every 2 years though. I am plugging it in in the winter now and charging them once a month if it doesn't get driven much.

Been running it on a Jerry race tune since about 12k too. I do detune it to tow though. Bought the truck new in Oct 05 so I got one of the later 6.0's.

Oh yeah and it ran a 14.6 with a 1.88 60' time with the 3rd row seat and a passenger. Its a 4x4 Excursion.:D Prolly weighed in at 8200 pounds or so. Ate a evo up at the 1/8th mile twice, with a 9.17.:cool:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The excursions have less of a problem mostly cuz you cant hook a goose neck to it with 50k+ weight on it .lol. Biggest thing is change oil and Both fuel filters religiously. Keeps you from burning up inj. Can add an aftermarket adj fuel presure reg to help also.Running around with low volt likes to burn up ficm's.
Programers are ok with em and lots of fun lol. But you have to act like an adult with it and not a 16yr old or it will cost you dearly.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
The excursions have less of a problem mostly cuz you cant hook a goose neck to it with 50k+ weight on it .lol. Biggest thing is change oil and Both fuel filters religiously. Keeps you from burning up inj. Can add an aftermarket adj fuel presure reg to help also.Running around with low volt likes to burn up ficm's.
Programers are ok with em and lots of fun lol. But you have to act like an adult with it and not a 16yr old or it will cost you dearly.
Don't the ficm's have an issue where the circuitboard vibrates or warps and cracks solder joints?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I havent run into that problem earl. Every time i have changed 1 it had to do with volt issues to the ficm. Ficm gets car volt in and puts out 48v out to the inj. So running low volt burns em up. You can get 1/2 of the ficm now (came out with that a few years ago) which will fix most of em.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Oh yeah forgot I resoldered the FICM myself. After the check engine light came on with codes for every injector. Hardest part of that was getting the potting material out of it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I havent run into that problem earl. Every time i have changed 1 it had to do with volt issues to the ficm. Ficm gets car volt in and puts out 48v out to the inj. So running low volt burns em up. You can get 1/2 of the ficm now (came out with that a few years ago) which will fix most of em.
What extras do you recommend for the 6.0s? Like and extra coolant filter, EGR cooler delete or whatever?

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
What you can do to them depends on local laws. Here theres no inspection so egr deletes are in alot of the 6.0's. Many different ways of doing this , my choose is the Sinister delete. Installed a bunch of them with np as of yet. Alot of people just remove the cooler and install plugs in the exhaust sides of the cooler. This allows you to still route the coolant as needed , looks stock but never have to replace again.
03 egr coolers are better then the later ones but req other 03 parts to install on a later truck. For the most part the egr coolers fail due to no coolant from a leak (internal or external), bad head gaskets. Also if the egr cooler goes out replace the oil cooler also.If the mechanic doesnt recommend it then find another mechanic .
As far as upgrading - remove the aftermarket "cold air intake" and throw it away. yes yes you gained a little here and there but in the end you gained a sandblasted wheel on the turbo.(unless it stays in the city all the time and cleaned at oil change). No1 reason for inj failure is low fuel presure , programers make this worse. Adding an adj reg will work for stock / mildly mod trucks. If your going for big power and fun then upgrading the fuel sys is req. You can get aftermarket heads , inj , ficms all depends on the use and wallet size lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts