TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for PPG Paint Codes for Ford Red, Black, and Green. Basically the most common color of tbirds for 1990-1997. I realize that there are variations in colors as years progressed but if someone can get me started it would be a huge help. I'm looking for single stage paint codes, but welcome any responses for double stage. Thanks. Rich

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Where in NJ are you located? I know a couple places around me (monmouth county) where you can get PPG paint. And yeah, the paint code is based on the factory color, not who make the paint.

Mike

PS. Good choice with the PPG. That really is the best automotive paint there is as far as I'm concerned. It's also really easy to spray, so don't let anyone talk you into some other brand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually am taking a paint class now and am just playing around with some parts cars i happen to have which my brother jsgauto is parting out. We are located in Roxbury, Morris County NJ, but are down in Toms River Frequently too.

PPG is pretty expense stuff, but i agree its the best i know of too. What do you think of Dupont ChromaBase MadMikeL? If you can help me out getting some body shop stuff that would be great. I know body shops and auto body suppliers don't sell to the public because the stuff is dangerous [isocyonides].

I know its hard to mess around with matching paints since the color code of cars equate to a formula to mix colors with but, hey, gotta start somewhere

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
i went to an automotive paint supply store. 3Q is a base clear coat- there are 7 different variations of it if i remember right. i paid $150 for a quart of base with the right temp basemaker, the activator for the clear and some tape. I already had the clear and reducer.

the Dupont Chroma Premier is what mine is. i used 3/4" of a gallonof base on the complete re-paint (same color). My friend almost has the same color but used PPG and used half that amount of base. but its double the price. so its a wash money wise. but thats less time if you spray less paint. the PPG covered better. but you can remix the dupont base coat back in the can if you don't use it all. i don't know why but its catalized,hardned, different than the PPG

then i did the repaint i was in $750 for everything. the gallon of clear is $130. but there are levels and other brands. Omni is a low line of either Dupont or PPG, i can't remember and its cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
PPG is expensive, but it is worth it. DuPont is good stuff too. I would rate that second. But especially if you are just starting out, use the PPG. When I first started learning to paint I was working at a body shop that had some [email protected]$$ paint, and I was going crazy because I was constantly getting runs and fisheye and and the paint was cracking, and I couldn't get the hang of it. Shortly after that I quit that place and got a job at another shop that used PPG. Within a couple weeks of spraying PPG I had it down almost perfect. The stuff just lays down so smoothly and easily. It is very forgiving. Basically if you know what you are doing, you have to put effort into screwing up with PPG.

For getting the paint, there is an auto parts store in freehold NJ called Matty's. They sell pre-mixed PPG paint. Also I think it's norwood in neptune sells it too. I'll have to ask the guy I work for to find out for sure, but I recently had to do some paint work on my cousin's car and he ordered the paint for me. Also there is a body shop supply store close to me, but they don't sell PPG paint. I think they sell dupont only. But they do have all kinds of other stuff (bondo, sandpaper, thinner, reducer, etc.) so I go to them a lot for that sort of stuff, but not so much for paint.

Also if you are trying to learn to spray, there is a cheap way to practice that one guy taught me. Get yourself a decent sized chalkboard (maybe like 4ft long) and fill the paint gun with water. Spray the chalk board with the water out of the gun and try to get the entire board evenly wet without ever seeing a drip of water. If you can do that, you can paint a car.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts