TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 3rd cat on my 97 tbird with 4.6 is rattling. im thinking about getting the pre bent 2.25inch true duel exhaust set up on ebay and run a H pipe with it. not sure about mufflers yet. has anyone tried out that pre bend true duel exhaust set up by trubendz? is it any good? worth the money or no?

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,390 Posts
I have a set on the tbird; they sound great.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
The Trubendz set is on my list for Ruby as I'm rebuilding her.

I'm interested in muffler choices also; but my idea is that, if I don't know, I'll start with the cheapest and just clamp them on.

Don't like them? Sell'em used and step up until I find one I like. >:)

Tastes are subjective - XR7-4.6's ideal muffler may suck to Grog6, whose ideal sucks to Wile E. Coyote, and I may think the whole bunch of you have been snorting E85 too much! >:)>:)

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,390 Posts
I always get the el cheapos the muffler shop sells me for $25, lol.

The 2.5" ones are a ***** to fit in the 'tunnel', the 2.125" are a bit easier, according to my guys.

The 2.5" ones are twice as loud, with the same cheap mufflers, lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts
BORLA PRO XS Mufflers. 2.5" - Center IN/ Offset Out

·
Registered
41 Posts
what did you guys run for mufflers?
I have Flowmaster 40s, they sound great, like an actual muscle car. I hate the glug-glug-glug water sound that I hear from many newer Mustangs with aftermarket cat-back systems.

But mufflers are only half the battle. The first thing I did in terms of exhaust was switch to JBA shorty headers (California compliance, not a lot of choice there). The sound was night and day after the switch, even though the rest of the exhaust was the garbage stock stuff. I've read that some on here switch to full-length headers and/or no cats/X-pipe or whatever, which is fine if your home state doesn't care. I'm just saying that the sound can change a lot with even shorty headers and stock mufflers/Y-pipe.

My view is if your plans include headers, do those first, then figure out how much more "sound" you want out of aftermarket mufflers because settling on mufflers first and thinking you nailed the sound might not last once you swap out the exhaust manifolds for headers.

·
Super Moderator
9,173 Posts
Dynomax Super Turbos here. There's drone around 1800-2000... I've been thinking about having a resonator X put in, in place of the Magnaflow X it came with.

Old video for sound:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dynomax Super Turbos here. There's drone around 1800-2000... I've been thinking about having a resonator X put in, in place of the Magnaflow X it came with.

Old video for sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPSqelsLS6I
I thought the Mangaflow resonator X would kill the drone from my Flowmaster 40's. Nope, not at all. The style of muffler used creates the drone. After installing the Magnaflow performance style mufflers, no more drone, just a pleasant tone when getting on it.
There are several youtube videos comparing muffler sounds on different vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
9,173 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to look into that. At some point in the next eternity I'll have my headers installed and can talk to the shop about it their experiences then. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
10,390 Posts
My exhaust guys told me that having a turndown too close to the rear bumper is what causes the drone; the one on the tbird doesn't drone at all, but the one on lazarus does.

There's maybe 3" of difference where it comes out.

If that's true, Matt's setup shouldn't have any drone at all, as it doesn't turn down, lol.

Any drone on that setup, dude?

I put mufflers on, even if they're ineffective, as the local cops will look to see if there are mufflers if they think you're loud, and no mufflers is an easy ticket.
They don't have to have a sound meter in that case.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've used Mandrel Bent Exhaust on 5 different builds My favorite sounding builds are with the dual in dual out muffler were the 3rd cat resided. With a mild built 4.6 with stock manifolds sounded the best, IMO.
Read ya later, Nick

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Don't buy the cheap muffler shop mufflers. We had one rust out in a year - the hanger detached from the muffler body. The materials are paper thin.

Al

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nick when you say duel in duel out muffler where the 3rd cat was, are you referring to running a true duel set up with that duel muffler in place of 3rd cat and no mufflers out back?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
My car has a wide variety of different pipe sizes cobbled together between 2.25 and 2.5" from the manifolds back with a midmount dual in-out Magnaflow resonator with integral crossover along with some simple glasspacks at the tip exiting straight out the back.

Sounds great. No drone at any point in the typical driving rev ranges (2000-2800rpm), has a nice mellow burble and screams like an angry animal at WOT and higher than 3K rpm.

I plan to fix the random collection of pipes with a full 2.5" header back setup once the engine is back in, and I'll update with video when I get home, but my car sounds great to me, no drone, conversation is easy at highway speeds, can hear the radio just fine, etc.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes sir, like a Dynomax Ultra-Flo X 17553, I believe that the 2.5 inch. Magna Flow 11385 has a nice 2.25 inch

Reda ya later, Nick

1 - 20 of 34 Posts