Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know we're not supposed to have any political threads, but I thought if everyone would just keep their political comments to yourself we could keep this one open.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have one? Well looks like I don't have permission. What other forums are on here that I don't know about?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
We have one? Well looks like I don't have permission. What other forums are on here that I don't know about?
We will never tell.........

You darn troublemaker. :)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Judging by the amount of Obama supporters present in the polling data, it could get really ugly in here when McCain gets elected.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I voted for Obama (literally, I mailed off my ballot today), but I won't have a fit if he doesn't win. The person who wins = the person that more people in the country want to win [generally]. I will expect the same from the right if Obama wins. I'm a firm believer of if you don't like WHO is president, then you can leave. If you don't like what the president is doing, then that's a good reason to share your opinion because as an American citizen you have the right to representation, but if the majority of people vote someone in, why complain that said person is president? And the next president won't be making any decisions for a few weeks, so hopefully we won't have a glut of sore losers here.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The person who wins = the person that more people in the country want to win [generally].

I'm a firm believer of if you don't like WHO is president, then you can leave.
well even if somone has the popular vote they can still loose, such as the 2004 election. i think its time to move on from the electoral college

people can change after they realize the amount of power they have. they could aslo go against some of their policies they only stated to get more votes. so thats where impeachment comes into play.

·
Registered
217 Posts
well even if somone has the popular vote they can still loose, such as the 2004 election. i think its time to move on from the electoral college
Thank you! I dont vote for that reason. I dont really think your vote counts for much, the electoral college is what counts. When there is no electoral college i'll be happy to vote.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm not going to vote for the following reasons:

1. I don't like either candidate and I'm tired of voting for the "lesser of two evils"

2. No matter who is elected, it is always just the "same ole BS, different day".

3. If I were to vote, it would be for Sen. McCain. But I live in AL: No way, no how is Sen. Obama going to win AL. (AL has gone Republican since 1980)

4. I adamantly HATE the "winner takes all" of the Electoral College. (A simple modification would fix all the problems: Make it a percentage: If one candidate gets 55%, another gets 40%, and a third gets 5% of the popular vote, then divvy up the Electoral College votes along the percentage lines. That way people’s votes ACTUALLY COUNT. :redmad:

If I thought the election in AL would be close, then I would definitely vote.

Yeah, I know I should vote and I highly recommend everyone else vote. I’m just so frustrated in not having anyone to vote for that I elect to abstain.

I’m voting “present”. :zwall: :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not going to vote for the following reasons:

1. I don't like either candidate and I'm tired of voting for the "lesser of two evils"

2. No matter who is elected, it is always just the "same ole BS, different day".

3. If I were to vote, it would be for Sen. McCain. But I live in AL: No way, no how is Sen. Obama going to win AL. (AL has gone Republican since 1980)

4. I adamantly HATE the "winner takes all" of the Electoral College. (A simple modification would fix all the problems: Make it a percentage: If one candidate gets 55%, another gets 40%, and a third gets 5% of the popular vote, then divvy up the Electoral College votes along the percentage lines. That way people’s votes ACTUALLY COUNT. :redmad:

If I thought the election in AL would be close, then I would definitely vote.

Yeah, I know I should vote and I highly recommend everyone else vote. I’m just so frustrated in not having anyone to vote for that I elect to abstain.

I’m voting “present”. :zwall: :D
You know, it's funny you should mention that, yesterday I went out and registered/got my ballots, and the line was very long. After conversing with my line neighbors a little bit, one guy started off on a rant on why the Canadian political system is better. They have multiple parties, during elections you only vote for parties, then the winning party will have executive control and be the largest group in the parliament. Also, if the leading party isn't holding popularity, a no confidence vote can be taken in parliament, and if the majority votes for the no confidence, an election will take place about a month afterwards--no more sticking with the guy who's not working.

It turns out that the guy that went on this rant wrote a book that basically why we need a strong 3rd party, and what we need to get it. The book is called "Neither a Conservative or Liberal be"

Personally, I'm probably going to write in someone (Probably Ron Paul). I know, it's a waste of a vote, but one vote in either direction for the large guys isn't going to make any difference, and if a third party gets enough votes, they can get campaign money from the US.

As for the "winner take all" electoral college fix you lined out...
Nebraska already has it :tongue:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Yeah, I registered yesterday and I may still vote. I'm just not 100% sure. I wish AL had absentee voting, and they do, but you have to "qualify" (will be out of town, are sick/disabled, temporarily living in another county, etc.). You can’t just say, “I want to vote today, give me a ballot”.

The whole voting thing just irks me to no end. I mean for crying out loud, I could transfer millions of dollars via a secure online connection (that is assuming I had millions of dollars to transfer… :D ) and that is considered secure enough. Why can’t I vote online!! I guarantee the voting percentages would go up.

I didn't know that about NE!! And ME also does it!

http://www.archives.gov/federal-register/electoral-college/faq.html said:
What is the difference between the winner-takes-all rule and proportional voting, and which States follow which rule?

There are 48 States that have a winner-takes-all rule for the Electoral College. In these States, whichever candidate receives a majority of the vote, or a plurality of the popular vote (less than 50 percent but more than any other candidate) takes all of the State's electoral votes.

Only two States, Nebraska and Maine, do not follow the winner-takes-all rule. In those States, there could be a split of electoral votes among candidates through the State's system for proportional allocation of votes. For example, Maine has four electoral votes and two Congressional districts. It awards one electoral vote per Congressional district and two by the state-wide, "at-large" vote. It is possible for Candidate A to win the first district and receive one electoral vote, Candidate B to win the second district and receive one electoral vote, and Candidate C, who finished a close second in both the first and second districts, to win the two at-large electoral votes. Although this is a possible scenario, it has not actually occurred in recent elections.
Every state should be set up that way!!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts

people can change after they realize the amount of power they have. they could aslo go against some of their policies they only stated to get more votes. so thats where impeachment comes into play.
Senator Kerry lost the 2004 election by both the Popular and Electoral votes. That was 2000, in which VP Gore won the popular vote, which leads me to my next point since you do not have your facts straight...three times has a candidate won the popular vote, yet lost the electoral. Numerous times has a direct election system been introduced and failed in Congress. The Electoral College is there for a reason, it upholds the conceptual practice of dual federalism.....Not only have 40 out of 43 administrations been elected by victories in both polls, but the issue of the abolishment of the electoral rose directly out of the 2000 election, most likely because 98% of the populous doesnt have a frickin clue on how the government works. The founding fathers created the electoral college for this reason, and just because most of this country only cares about how the government works every four years, thats their problem.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
For anyone that is interested, this link has the Electorial votes from 1789 to present:

http://www.270towin.com/

Check out the 1820 election... Can we say landslide!!!! :beek:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just started the same type of poll in the political forums. Any way I hope for the future of my job McCain wins cause if not I am going to get laid off again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts