TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a bit of Googling to get some details on this. As some of you may remember, I had a 1996 AED T-Bird. But in January I'm getting a 1998 white Lincoln Mark VIII LSC. It has 77K miles and runs real good. No oil leaks or any problems. It has all the paperwork to show it was well maintained. So this is the new project. I'm lusting over a forced induction route like I did before, but I may stay NA. I'l probably stay NA though. I don't have the bucks I used to. It all has to fir under a stock hood like my AED Bird did. I need to stay California smog legal, so that can be the tricky part. The smog Nazis over here are nuts. I had some non CARB approved internals in the T-Bird and the Wermacht never caught on to that.

Suggested mods for NA with the most bang for the buck appreciated. Many things have changed since I sold the last car and I value you guys input. I know it's a wide open question, but I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the new project right now.

·
Super Moderator
7,566 Posts
3800 stall on the converter, and for gears either 3.73s or 4.10s depending on how much highway driving you do.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
How is the drivability on a torque converter like that?
depends who is gonna tune it, and it depends on what gears will be used. It's an evil triangle if you only focus on two. The less you focus on shelling out $$$ on getting a competent tuner to account for the changes, the worse it will be.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Non intercooled vortech w meth injection, Imrc delete, some kind of exhaust, 373,s unless you like more (I really don't for a street car) and a nice multi disc converter.

11 second car under stock hood.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Non intercooled vortech w meth injection, Imrc delete, some kind of exhaust, 373,s unless you like more (I really don't for a street car) and a nice multi disc converter.

11 second car under stock hood.
while this suggestion does have some merit, when someone says "I don't have the bucks I used to...", I generally take that as "I don't have thousands and thousands of dollars to dump into this thing". Unless we get a clear answer of how much $$$ is available, even the simplest response may not hold any value.

So how much are we talking about here, exactly?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
3800-4000 stall torque converter, 3.73 gears, and a tune. Bam! Low 13's to high 12's.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Drive ability will be just fine. I have 4000 stall and 4.10's in the bird. I drive it almost daily and love it. Don't forget a big tranny cooler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts