TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to acquire a set of gfx. they dont match my paint so i need to get them repainted. in order to save money, i would like to prep them myself before getting them painted. what all is involved in prepping gfx? sanding? stripping paint? primer? what products should i use? educate me, guys.

·
Registered
708 Posts
feather out all cracked paint with 320/400. if you can feel it with your finger, you'll see it in the paint. if you can feel the feathered edge, you'll see a ring in the paint. then scuff well with a red scotchbrite pad until part is 100% dull, paying more attention to edges/high impact areas. You should probably ask the guy who is painting them what he prefers. with 320, he'll have to seal them, if you keep it under 600, sealer isn't needed.
Hope this helps
BTW, what are ya paying for paint, if you dont mind my asking?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dont have to gfx in my possession yet, so i cant tell you of any imperfections. i do know that the color (dark red) doesnt match my paint (tan). dont the paint shops usually strip the old paint first? thats what im trying to do in order to save money. im not sure what shops around here charge for just painting. so far, its $300 but that includes prepping and all.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
You don't want to strip the paint off, because new paint adheres better to old scuffed paint then it does to an unpainted surface. I just finished 400 wetsanding my entire car to prepare for paint next week, and it wasn't too bad, so GFX shouldn't take you more than a couple hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts