TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come for me to get moving on finishing the bird, and I have some urethane gfx that I need to get prepped for painting. They are currently the Emerald green color and look decent. Is it better to sand ALL the paint off until I hit yellow plastic, or should I leave the current paint on there as a base?

Also, in what order and grit would work the best for these peices? Like start at 600, then go to 800, etc...

Thanks!

Jay

·
Registered
583 Posts
If they're already painted and the paint is in good condition.. then wetsanding with 600 should leave you in good standing order. If there are any chips in the paint, you want to feather them out until you can't feel them anymore. The paint shop should still prep it to a degree on their own.. but 600ing it should take the meat of the prep work out. You want to make sure the sanding is good, so take a half sheet of paper and fold it into three to get into the spots you can't get a block into. Don't leave any shiny spots, if possible.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you. That's what I was looking for. There are a few spots on the rear gfx where it looks like it was scraped on the ground lightly, so I'll smooth those out as well.

Jay

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
make sure you use wash them real good.then let dry then use wax and grease remover then sand.If you don't it will drive dirt and contament's in the plastic causeing the paint to lift or blister when flashing between coats of paint. The painter will be cusing ya after he's done and may charge you more for fixing it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
if the paint is glossy and has no chips or heavy scratches that go into the basecoat or urethane itself then 800 grit is fine. if its got some good scratches or cuts then use handsand with 320 grit, you'll have to primer it but it will get it out better than 600 or 800. like they said above get all the shiney stuff gone or the paint will flake on down the road. best way to get the part clean is to use laquer thinner or mineral spirits, that will get it better than washing with plain water.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IF you need some bodywork advice this is a GREAT site....ignore the ad part and go to their Paint and Body Forum...I had a body shop for in the sixties and seventies and every time I go to this website it reminds me how much things have changed...

http://www.paintucation.com/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts