TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, don't laugh, I'm serious.

I have couple maps at home right now, one happens to be from the 1800s of Geniva in unbelieveale condition and in color -- its folded up in a book style and the cover/pages aren't in the best of shape, but the map is flawless. I'd like to preserve it as much as possible and I can't remember where I heard this but do musems offer this service of preparing it for a more perminate framing structure (which I'm also looking into).

Anyone heard of this or know more about it or ...something??

·
8,239 Posts
my cousin is an artist, and his girlfriend does an awesome job with framing. Depending on the size of the map you could just set up a deal with her and have her fedex the finished project back to you.

She just did a guitar legends piece of art for my father and it turned out really nice.

JH

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
If you frame it, find one that is UV resistant so that the sun doesn't destroy it... and also try to keep it out of the sun/heat or dampness.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GreenBird said:
actually the best place for it is a climate controlled, unlit area.
defeats the purpose of displaying it.

I think I'll walk down to the musem just up the street ...see if they have anything to say about it :)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
All I saw in your post was preserving it...

They make glass with built in UV filters, and there are plenty of powders that will absorb moisture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts