TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my friend and I got out of class one day and we were talking in the parking lot about his RAM 1500 5.7L and my Cougar 4.6L......we got to looking under my hood at the 4.6. After about a minute or two of just looking around at possible things to do, he said "holy crap, I just thought of something...." I thought it was pretty ingenious too. He said why not do RAM AIR? I have the '95 4.6L, so the TB sticks out forward...and now that I think about it, with a mustang hood or something with a hood scoop, the TB could be setup to somehow take air from above? It would give you a means of taking air from outside the engine compartment completely, at a relatively high velocity. The only problem I am forseeing is the MAF, but I looked at how the 2004 Mach I hood scoop works, it is Fully Functional, and maybe there is a way to set it up like that? Hell, at this rate I might even buy a mach I engine and shove it under there. I'll keep the 4.6 to restore it to it's '95 fresh from the Lorain, OH assembly plant condition ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,977 Posts
The 04 mach scoop isnt "ram air", its just a cold air inlet that runs to the airbox, its bolted to a cobra intake using brackets. The amount of fabrication involved is not worth the gain, since the 95 manifold is a huge restriction and theres about 1" of clearance between the stock hood and the throttle body. in other words the shaker wont fit without a cowl hood. The other problem is the MAF, the reason the newer mach 1's run the ducting back to the airbox is an example, you cant just stick it right in front of the throttle body and expect it to work right, the turbulance from the blade opening and closing will throw off the readings when placed that close.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of that makes sense, yea I guess it wouldn't be worth it. Just a K&N flat filter should be fine.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'll keep the 4.6 to restore it to it's '95 fresh from the Lorain, OH assembly plant condition ;)
The 92-95 4.6L F4AE heads are crap there worth nothing. if you do ever tear down the motor upgrade the heads. The F4s have a bad intake port design, bad valve guide design that wipes out the valve seals which is why the older 4.6Ls puff smoke after accelerating after a long idle and not too mention weaker valve springs. The block is just as the other 4.6L blocks except it dosent have the rear jackscrew. If your ever looking to get a little more performance might want to look into the Pi swap

If you do want ram air heres an idea...build a duct out of pvc that runs from the where the airsilencer was to behind the grill. years ago when i had the stock airbox i ran a 3" pvc duct to the lower airdamn hole on the p side the risk of this however is sucking up water shoudl you go thru a huge puddle behind the grill would be high and dry just make sure to seal the duct well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts