TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be a little different and avoid a PI swap. I am burning oil and suspect the valve stem seals to be shot. I plan on finding a pair of Romeo npi heads in the junkyard and assembling them instead of changing the seals with the heads on the block. What else should I replace in the heads before installing? I plan on doing a small port and polish job on the heads. Head gaskets and timing chains should obviously be replaced. What else should be done?
-Rick

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
If you're going to go through that much time, money, and effort, you may as well use PI heads.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would fin a explorer with the 4.6 pi in it and replace the valve guides and go from there. what I mean is when it is being cleaned and the valve guides are being replaced it will give you a chance to cam it if you want to cam them as well

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive decided to go with the pi swap, I didnt realize that ford racing sells 98-04 pi heads assembled for only 409.00 a piece. Ill be doing this over the winter, so I am debating on pulling the engine out and replacing as many seals as I can.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
320 Posts
What's the expense of doing a PI swap verses changing out or refurbishing NPI heads? That's something to consider. Back when I had my 96' the plan was to do a PI swap, but the expense seemed rather significant due to all the additional components needed to make this modification functional. I mean, it's not as simple as just changing out the heads, supplying new gaskets and possible replacing the timing chains and tension-ers (if needed) from what I understood.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,350 Posts
I reused all my timing components except for the crank gear(swapped to the stamped trigger wheel/1 piece sprocket). I went into my swap with the head changing kit, new valve/timing cover gaskets, water pump nipple, coolant tube and of course the heads and cams. I did a few other things along the way but just out of convenience really.

Personally I'd find a complete lower mile explorer motor if you're willing to throw away $920+. Much less work and way more beneficial.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Of course 900 dollars for a used explorer motor means high miles like above 130K easy if you want to get something with 90K they are 1400-1500 bucks less than 90K miles they are close to 2 grand you can buy a new long block explorer motor for 2500, explorer motors can be quite pricey, I have looked into them myself, paying 1500 for a 90K motor I rather spend another grand and start with a fresh new one with 0 miles, it's hard to find a junkyard willing to play ball with you with the explorer motor I gave up after a while, if I have to have one it will be new.

Maybe junkyards in other areas are more forgiving the ones around me and the chicagoland area want good money for that type of motor, and wont really go down too much especially with no core.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My main concern with running pi heads is the valve to piston clearance. It seems that the size of cam you can run with the pi heads on a npi block is very limited.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fudge it, ill just do the pi swap, im sure i wont regret it.

·
Super Moderator
10,910 Posts
I bought a PI motor with almost no miles on it for $700; $400 for a head is ridiculous unless you're sh*tting money.

The most simple swap is a head swap.

It's not easy, and you really need to watch the cam/crank lineup, but it's easy.

You CAN do this with only a crank balancer puller, and a steering puller.

See Brandon's thread; he made it look easy. :)

The full engine is a little harder; you remove everything on the outside of your current engine, and bolt it onto another engine.

This takes the same special tools, along with a cherry picker. And you probably want to swap the plastic tensioner parts, new bolts, gaskets...

A stock set of PI heads off a crown vic or Gran Marquis can be had fairly cheaply; Or you can buy Awesome heads from MHS, if you want to have something better.

It's the same swap, either way.

The lower end will probably be fine, as long as the oil's been changed regularly.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts