TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would it cost to have a j-mod done to the transmisiion if you take it into a shop. Some guy on ebay who is selling his mark says he paid more than half of what he is asking for the car on the j-mod. So can it really be that he spent 1000 dollars to have a j-mod done to his transmission?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
For a simple jmod, if you replace accumulators and springs, including the 12 quarts of fluid if you also drain the torque converter and have to buy drill bits... not over a hundred bucks. Mercon V is usually 3-5 bucks a quart.

IF you could find a shop willing to do something like that, figure an hours labor, maybe 2, at 50-70 bucks an hour.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I got all my parts from ford and spent $92.59 that included new accumulators and servos, 1 spring,13 qrts of Mercon V,filter,gasket and 2 or 3 other things and did everything myself in about 4 hours I just followed instructions from this site best money ever spent ona modification.:D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mine cost me about $2500, but that's because I was an idiot and didn't put enough fluid in it. Fried my clutches, but not because of the J-mod itself. I'd already done it once before with my Mustang, but I got a bad case of stupid the second time around. Fortunately, my T-bird is a hobby car, not my daily driver that I depend on for everything.

Read the articles completely, get the right parts, don't overdo the HP levels, and take your time. It's easy, but if you've never even dropped a transmission pan, then now probably isn't the time to start unless you have some experienced assistance. Especially if this is your only car. I'd be leary of a shop doing it, unless you are 100% sure you can trust it. Good luck finding one that will, unless you live where there are a lot of Ford tuner shops.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
id expect over a grand for a complete jmodded trans. you guys are all talking just the valvebody mod. you guys do know theres 2 parts to it right? and last time i got mercon v i spent 150 for enough to fill my tranny

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I don't know, I don't think I could trust myself working on an automatic transmission on my only car that I drive everyday. Especially since I have very limited knowledge about automatic transmissions.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,792 Posts
id expect over a grand for a complete jmodded trans. you guys are all talking just the valvebody mod. you guys do know theres 2 parts to it right? and last time i got mercon v i spent 150 for enough to fill my tranny

Over 11 bucks per Qt . Yep the J-Mod is going to be my next MOD. That is one big expence for the job :(

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
An if you buy Merc. V.. for the love of god please dont buy Coastal or any other cheap merc V... it's GARBAGE! Plan on spending 100 or so plus for good fluid. Remember if you add an aux cooler, it will require more fluid.. and when topping it off, make sure your on LEVEL ground and the engine is RUNNING in park, and at NORMAL operating temperature.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bought my Mercon from a Ford dealer and it was cheaper than Napa etc. Couldn't believe it, in Canada and i paid $114.37C for 14 qrts. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,262 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts