TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I got a quick question for you. My motor has been rebuilt. But it was not by me, the pervious owner had it done. Right now im looking to get another 95 cougar but it needs a motor rebuild. I seached and got 6 pages or results and was getting tired of goin through them all. My question to you is, how much will a complete rebuild cost me. Im talking pistons rods bearings seals gaskets EVERYTHING. Im looking to go .30 over or around there. The work would be done by a shop!! I know much cheaper to do it yourself but I dont have the time or skill. Im just courious as to what this will cost before I just go diving in.

Mike

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Just a word of advice, you'll find this out when you get started, but AFAIK you can go max .020 over on a 4.6 block.

I'm also sure there will be a great variance in your total bill depending on if you go for a fully forged rotating assembly or partially forged or not at all. That can make a big difference.

Before the experts can really tell you (if they can) it will cost x amount of money, they will probably need to know what components you want.

·
8,239 Posts
If you want to do it on the cheap, then melt down that 95 motor into something useful and drop in a 02 PI explorer motor. They cost about 1000 bucks, plus you will need to bastardize some parts from your 95 motor, and you need some new 96+ thunderbird parts to make it work, but its a good swap, and cheaper than a rebuild.

Plus when you are done you get a PI powered car.

JH

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK guys thanks for the quick responses. I guess I dont know enough right now to really say what I want. Thanks again for the responses. It just looks like a I need a liltle more research.

Mike

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
If you go that way, dropping in a new 75 pound lighter and 35 horsepower more powerful '02 Explorer engine, it will most likely cost you around $2k or so. It follows closely the "Rule of 2" which says whatever you think it will cost ($1k for the engine) double it. When you throw in the other costs like the parts you will need plus other stuff you may want to do while doing the swap (for me, Mark TC, GT MAF and Chip) it can add up. You do end up with a nearly brand new engine at PI spec.

It's also probably a lot less painful ;)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, I just rebuilt my '97 block.....and just for the motor itself....I have right at $6900 even in it. You can subtract $2400 from that (the cost of my SVO heads)....so my block was right around $4500 total.

Doing a .20 overbore is safer to go with.

LAter.
Slowride

·
Registered
71 Posts
Before I mention this I figure I should point out that this is merely an opinion but I think you could do it cheaper if you used your current internals (assuming all still good) and instead of machining that old block, getting a new one from Racer Walsh... here is a link to the price...

4.6L Block

My reasoning here is that you have to go with oversized pistons to bore your block, and then there is the boring and honing and vatting and all that stuff also and you can start fresh for what looks like $325...

Again, bear in mind that I have not gotten a block from them, and am only assuming that the paper and online catalogs are not lying about the price. Furthermore, it could be a used block but I doubt it because its listed as a ford racing part... not sure on all that though.

Just thought I'd throw this out there,
Willum

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Here's something to throw into the mix when considering a rebuild of a 4.6L.

Check the prices on all the bolts that you'll have to buy. I've built many engines over the last 20 years and I was shocked at the prices for all the little things that are needed for the 4.6L!!

Almost every bolt is not reusable. :mad:

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yeah, that got me too. Couldn't believe what needed replaced because they can't be re-used.......then the prices. Then if you upgraded to things like head stud, main studs, and stuff like that.......that's even higher.

Gotta love technology, and the price that comes with it. *LOL*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts