TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all have a little dilemna here

I sold my car and the plates are MIA (I lent them to the guy to drive it home)

I got a USPS Priority Mail tracking # of 03033430000023327247 with no record of the item

USPS told me with priority mail there is only a record when the item is delivered

The plates were mailed priority mail last monday (federal holiday so I say tuesday)in a drop box in Illinois and I have yet to recieve them

I called DMV they told me to go to my local PD and report them lost/stolen and get a form and just get new plates

Local PD said no you know who has the plates you cant report them stolen

Called back DMV they told me oh maybe try calling another police department :confused:

Any ideas ??

I cant register my other car or take that car off my insurance until I get the plates

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
I would wait a little longer. USPS always takes awhile delivering packages. Give it to the end of the week before you take any further actions. If you recieved a confirmation number, it's been sent. I don't know why they give you one when you can't check the current status of the package like UPS.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Thats why I usually have my packages sent UPS. I have had packages take 1-2 weeks to be delivered through USPS. It is aggrevating, I've been through it a couple times.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPS is great when it comes to shipping to PA takes one day USPS can take up to 4 days regular mail :(

This was sent priority mail though !

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I agree wait till the end of the week b4 going any farther and second why did u let him take the plates in the first place?? Hes not going to get a ticket for not having a license plate because you just sold him the car and he has proof. I would have told him to bring his own plate, thats what i did when i bought my bird last april.

-matt-

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am buying a new house in KS. I now live in CA.
Sent some pretty important documents USPS Priority mail on a Fri. a couple of weeks ago. Should have taken three days and been there on Tues. the latest. It did not arrive until two weeks later.
Linksys sent me a rebate check on the 9th of Jan.. I still have yet to receive it.
After repeated complaints to the local post office we still cannot get them to forward our mail from our old house. We have to regularly go by the old house and ask them for our mail that they hold for us till we come by.
I have said it before and will say it again. I do not trust them any further than I can throw them.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The DMV here in Wisconsin allows you to report the plates as missing. And if you wanted you would be able to just get new plates for your new car. Here if you wanted, you could get new plates everytime you get a new car. Of course it isn't cheap, but can be done. If I were you, I'd just report the plates as missing/stolen on a sold car to the PD. Let them handle it. If they give you a hassle, tell them to contact the person you sold the car to. You are reporting them missing. It's the truth. Make it their problem.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Your best bet is to wait a few more days. USPS is SLOOOOW! I think most pakages would get where they're going quiker if they went by covered wagon. Lol :)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Royalblu said:
I am buying a new house in KS. I now live in CA.
Sent some pretty important documents USPS Priority mail on a Fri. a couple of weeks ago. Should have taken three days and been there on Tues. the latest. It did not arrive until two weeks later.
Linksys sent me a rebate check on the 9th of Jan.. I still have yet to receive it.
After repeated complaints to the local post office we still cannot get them to forward our mail from our old house. We have to regularly go by the old house and ask them for our mail that they hold for us till we come by.
I have said it before and will say it again. I do not trust them any further than I can throw them.
Hey James! Just when is this move going to be done anyway? Anxious to get some more T-bird folks in this state!

At any rate, let me know when and if you need any help on this end.

As to plates. I'd wait till the end of the week, then report them missing. And learn from this. Don't ever leave your plates on your car after selling it. I drove my LE from St. Louis to Southeast KS with no plates. Never had a problem. (Now if that is the way that your particular state does it ignore that advice :D I think OK is like that, plate stays with car)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm kicking myself because I took my ez pass off of the plate and had the plate in my hand and I put it back on - I couldve turned one in and called it a day

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was told he had a temp plate from his state of residence so I didnt worry about it ... when we met up he told me he forgot it :(

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
pnyklr said:
I was told he had a temp plate from his state of residence so I didnt worry about it ... when we met up he told me he forgot it :(

ehhh i would have said screw him once he signs the title its his problem :)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was being nice as he had come a long way and his flight was delayed a few hours its not all his fault its me for not taking the one plate at least like I always have

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Next time don't worry about them. I drove my truck home over 200 miles without a plate, passed 5 or 6 cops and didn't get stopped once. Although it could have been the color of the truck.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Ya. I drove all weekend without plates when I bought mine. No hassles. I would report them as stolen. If you get them back, couldn't you just say they were returned? I'd do that in case someone used them in a robbery or something illegal. Your car, your plates, you know.

He was legally able to drive without a liscence plate, considering he just bought it.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I will wait until Friday then start the ball rolling again with the PD and DMV
the car was sold on the 17th of February !

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok now I am really calling BS on the plates being sent priority mail ... still no record of the tracking # and I just recieved a priority mail package from Texas within 2 days... the plates are coming from Illinois supposedly

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Just because you got a tracking number doens't mean they have been sent. That number is generated and created when the label is printed out. I get the usps confirmation mail with that number in it long before it is shipped out (common to get them from eBay sellers 3 or 4 days prior to the package actually getting to USPS). And as you found out, that isn't a tracking number, it is a delivery confirmation number, worthless to just about anyone. you can put in that number the day after it is delivered and see that it was? That is good for a shipper, not for someone getting something shipped unless you think that someone snagged it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts