TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post... just wanted to give the full story. About a month and a half ago I was having problems with my car not starting. Got the battery and alt tested and the battery was determined to be trashed. Got a new one. A week after that, my car won't start again. Wiggle the negative battery cable around and it works fine... for awhile anyway. No problems for a month. Wednesday I left work and went to my friends and shut it off and when I go to start it again it won't even crank like before. Borrow a wrench from him and move my negative battery cable around again. Car starts. Get out into a busy part of the city and I'm sitting in a left turn lane without my turn signal on, without my heater and rear defroster on, and my radio on at very low volume and everythings fine. A couple seconds before the light turns green, my lights dim, alt guage drops, RPMs drop, everything goes dead. Won't crank again. Pop the hood and move the cable again and it works! Not another problem till tonight. Started right up but as I got close to home my alt guage started pulsating and jumping all over and my headlights were getting really dim. I had my stereo on a lil over half volume which usually never does anything to the guage and RPMs were about 2k the whole time the guage was fluctuating. After I noticed the large fluctuations (sp?) I shut my stereo off and it became a little more tame but it was still bouncing all over. So... I prolly need to replace my negative battery cable and I did a serach so I'm guessing I need a new alternator too? Once again sorry for the long post. I'm just hoping I don't have to spend much more money right away.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You mean have it tested while the car is running to see what the amp output is? If so, then it was 123 amps (I think) when they tested it.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well if your gettign to power back up by moving the cable, clean your terminals , battery and cables, also look at the bolts they may need changed , or the the whole terminal may need changed. you still could have a bad alternator, you may have a intermitently bad regulator , or a diode on its way out,

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright. I'll have to try cleaning it up again tomorrow when its slightly warmer and I'm a lil more awake. Thanks for the responses guys.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
One other thing, there is a primary wire and a jumper off it going to thealternator as well... the clips are prone to failure about now, and can just ruin your day , ruin your alternator, so dont even bother to check them, just replace them and save yourself some grief ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I had a simular problem and did not find it until the power steering line had chafed though and leaked. While checking where the leak was coming from I found the negative cable was also chafed half way though at the crossmember and along the oil pan. I replaced the negative cable and power steering line. Check the cable and the block ground point also.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm gonna try cleaning it first and take it for a test drive. If it doesn't clear up and I buy a new negative battery cable how long does it have to be?

EDIT: Took a drive and didn't have any of the problems I was having last night. Ill be getting a price on an alternator next week. Are all 4.6 alternators the same? Because I want to get a used one but from the newest car possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts