TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just another problem with the car. about a week ago i started having problems when starting in the morning. the car starts but idles really low, at about 300 rpms, struggling to stay on, for about 5 secs, then shoots up to 2000 rpms and slowly goes down to its normal idle speed... just did a tune up about 2 months ago, so wires/plugs/rotor are all new. what else can this be? i dont know much about fords but there is a little device on top of the TB with some stuff written on it (something about cleaning your TB and stuff). is this the Idle Control Unit and could it be that it has something to do with this car's poor performace?? thanx a ton
Paul

·
Registered
76 Posts
That sounds like an IAC (idle air control) valve. I cannot remember how they mount on the n/a, but there are only two electrical sensors on the throttle body and the throttle position sensor should be easy to figure out. The other one is the IAC valve.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your IAC might be dirty...............

Pull it off and spray it out with some electronic contact cleaner ( it won't harm the plasitc, carb cleaner will ) they get dirty and sitick causing the symptoms you describe, give it a gentle scrub with small acid brush while cleaning it. Also check the condition of the IAC gasket if its dried out and cracked replace it or to be on the safe side just replace it.

Chris........

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just thought I would add a little. If you do go ahead and replace the IAC (if you can't clean it), then go with the Ford part. I have not had good luck with the aftermarket parts store part. I don't know who designed it, but I hope they were fired.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx a lot for all the replies guys, i'll try clean the IAC over the weekend, will let you know if that i it!
Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts