TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble bleeding the hydraulic clutch on my T-45 swap. It seems like the master cylinder isn't taking any fluid from the reservoir. If I pull the line out of the slave and hold my thumb over it, it will build pressure, but only air ever comes out of there, never any fluid. Is there anything special I have to do to get it to bleed? Thanks.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SC master cylinder. Slave is out of an IROC camaro (uses the same fittings as the SC), and I was trying to bleed it by having someone pump up the pedal, then cracking the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder to let air and fluid out, but the reservoir never goes down any. It seems like the master isn't taking any fluid from the reservoir.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been doing it the same way as you would normally bleed a brake system. Pump it up, hold it, crack bleeder, close bleeder, let it up, repeat. It isn't taking any of the fluid out of the reservoir though. I've been working on the car all day, and at this point, bleeding the clutch is the only thing left to do and then the swap is done.

Mike

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Ok good to see you are doing it right but I had to ask just in case. Master will come out of the car easy so you might want to bench bleed to master and reinstall it. not sure why you are having a problem but bench bleeding will tell you if the master is pumping.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could you give me an exact procedure on how to bench bleed the master? Thanks.

Mike

·
2,073 Posts
Just pull the master and put it in a vice and have the res and tube attached to it with fluid. Then using a screw driver push in the piston and then put your thumb over the line end to keep air from getting sucked back into the line. Do this a few times till you get a good pump of fluid every time you push in the piston. This is an old way to bench bleed a brake master when replacing just the master and not bleeding the whole system. At least it will tell you if the problem is with the master.

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I did something like that, only it was already in the car. What I did is I disconnected the line from the slave cylinder and held my thumb over that, and I had someone pump the clutch pedal while I was doing that. It would build up some pressure, but it never started pumping fluid. Do you think I might have a bad master cylinder? It was a used part since this whole swap is pretty low budget.

Mike

·
2,073 Posts
That is what I am thinking is the master may be junk. I would pull it and try it on the bench but more than likely you will need a new master. Seems like you need to pull the master out either way. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One last question; is there any good/easy way to push out the pin that holds the line in up there?

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts