TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've had this car it always takes time to start. If the car has been on within the last few hours it starts just fine. But from a cold start-up it takes sometimes 10 seconds of turning the key to get it going. Anyone else have the problem or have a solution?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Here's a flowchart to aid in diagnosing the problem. Is the Check Engine light on, by any chance? If so, get a code reading, and let us know what it is. Also, check things like the air filter/intake for clogging.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I in no way mean this in a bad way! But that chart is very self explanitory. If you are not throwin any codes it is just a list of stuff you have to check. In my experiance when I got a brand new battery and alternator it helped the starter crank over quicker. But not everyone can go and get that. So it might be something else. Try checking the pigtail on the starter. I believe it is the signal that comes from the ignition switch. When I swaped my starter the note said that it was the proplem for faults on the staters. The wire starts to corrode after a while. Well at least the first 8 inches from the conector....Eric

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Quick translation of the chart:

-Check for leaks in the vacuum tubing all around the engine
-Ascertain that good fuel of the correct octane is used
-Check the air intake system for restrictions
-Check the air filter - replace if dirty/old/wet

-Scan for codes

-Check the ignition system (how are the plugs and wires? Replace fouled plugs, damaged wires, and make sure wires are connected correctly and not loosely)

-Check the fuel delivery system (how old is the fuel filter? Is the pressure regulator ok? Are there restrictions in the return or supply lines? What's the condition of the injectors and harness?)

-Check the exhaust system for restrictions or leaks

-Check the PCV system (is the PCV valve bad? Are the hoses leaking or clogged?)

-Check the Evaporative Emissions system (is the canister purge valve faulty? Is the harness/circuitry ok? Are the EVAP hoses cracked or plugged?

-Check the air intake system (make sure the throttle body and air cleaner elements are clean. Verify there are no leaks from the Mass Air Flow sensor to the intake manifold. Check the Idle Air Control Valve)

-Check starting system (how's the starter, the starter solenoid, or the voltage to the starter?)

-Check the MAF sensor for contamination (is it dirty? Here's how to clean the MAF sensor)

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I don't know if 4.6L's have them, but if you check the ACT or Intake air charge sensor that may help. Just a suggestion. Probably isn't the problem. Just one fo the things that will keep it from starting I think. It really sounds like a fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. Just another suggestion. I know how to check them on my car but not yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts