TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im pretty new to the forums ive been looking to this forums for a while and many of my problems with the car i have solved by reading to the posts

but the problem now is today i started the car and it started normal like every day it started at 1100 rpm and the slowly down to 800-900 rpm..... the thing is that a few hours back i went to the mall and when i parked the car the rpms in idle the car was at 500 rpms i think it was normal.
when i come back to the car the car was totally cold, when i started it was idling like crap the car wont go up 500 rpms bi itself it wont shut down or something like that but it feels shaky and i dont know what its goin wrong whit it

in the house i removed the IAC valve and cleaned whit carbu-clean an a lot of black stuff came off, i think it was that but no. the chek engine light come on on the way back home im goin to check it tomorrow but if you guys could give me an idea of what is wrong whit it i would appreciated it thanks

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Mine does the same exact thing! Has a rough idle at start..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks maestro tomorrow when i get the codes whit the scaner ill fix the problem and check all the other things that you told me

and cobra if i find an fix the problem ill post it here so maybe that could fix your car too

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
before you "fix" the problem, post up the actual code that comes out on the scanner....this is because some different problems make the same code appear....but its sometimes hard to tell which is the underlying true problem.....for example, if an oxygen sensor is reading lean and thats what the code shows , people will tell you 'its the oxygen sensor'....where in reality it could just be that you left a vacuum hose unplugged or left a hose clamp loose on your intake tube, both of which would cause an O2 sensor to report a lean condition....catch my drift?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im back but now the car has an even weirder problem
the next day that the chek engine light went on i was goin to the other house to pick my scaner and get the codes
the thing is when i start the car it keep doing the same thing (cold start idle in 500 - 600 rpms) but the CEL wont come on so i drive the car for a while to get it at normal operation temperature but the light wont come on not yesterday not even today what im thinking is to replace the IAC whit a new one an see if it fix the problem

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea men you're right i might have done that when i used a jumper to start the car the next day because i unplugged the batery for about 5 minutes

now i have to wait for the CEL to come on again or there isnt some type of memory on the computer of the car where the errors keep saved or something???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no...... no news with the car and the sacred CEL its been like 4 days i use the car every day an the light just dont come up again the light is not disabled os unplugged because when i start the car the light comes on but the wrong thing is that the car keeps doing the same thing at idle but it has some things that i noticed...

when i left the car at idle (500-600 rpms) sometimes the rpms comes back to normal when the engine its hot like 700 rpms then drops to 500 again what i think is the problem should be the IAC or i am wrong:confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
it could be ANYTHING related to airflow, fuel, or spark. (yes, including the IAC)

I know you listed some things you have done, but its always good to list EVERYTHING you have done to the car, whether it be a mod or maintenance

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the engine is full stock the only "mod" has to be removing the air silencer

the car has 130,000 KMS (like 80,000 - 81 ,000 miles) the spark plugs i think they are bosch double platinum and the spark plug wires are still the stock ones

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Step 1: Do a complete tune-up: Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil, oil filter, PCV, Clean the MAF, Flush the coolant, inspect/clean/replace the IAC, etc.... I would also say inspect/clean/replace the EGR valve, but on the 94/95’s it is a PITA!!!

Step 2: Check for cracked vacuum hoses (especially the "T" fitting at the rear of the engine). Replace/repair as needed.

Step 3: Thank us for the help. :thumbsup:

Seriously, these cars really need to have the tune-ups done at regular intervals. Yeah, the factory says "good for 100K miles", but that does not necessarily mean things will be perfect at 100K miles.

I think that if you do those things, you'll be amazed at how well the car runs. And of course if it throws the code, let us know what it is. Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
forgot one of the most important things....new Motorcraft or NTK/NGK upper oxygen sensors
It was covered by the "etc.". :tongue: :D

Yep, I sure did!!! O2's should definitely be part of the tuneup! :bowdown:

·
Super Moderator
4,888 Posts
forgot one of the most important things....new Motorcraft or NTK/NGK upper oxygen sensors
NTK/NGK are worth while replacements?

Not a BIG problem - at Rockauto, for Sweetie's 1991 Cougar, the Motorcraft are only about $5 more each than the cheapies, unless you go down to KEMPARTS ...

RwP

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks man i do the basic things to the car like every 10,000kms in the odometer
like change the oil, oil filter, air filter, gas filter, spark plugs but this problem started like a week ago (also i was thinking on buying the spark plug wires from Ford Racing or what other brand do you recomend me???)

anyways im going to check the things that you have writen and i hope that helps to get my car runing right and i hope that the CEL come on again tho show you guys the code (or codes) on it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts