TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Thunderbird '91 3.8 AT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I recently installed an electronic dashboard, I had a regular one with 3 arrows, on the new cluster, the oil pressure was only just as "yes / no" with control lamp
in order for the dashboard to show pressure, I bought the oil pressure sensor sw2220 motorcraft, but by connecting the sensor to the dashboard, it shows some kind of nonsense.
when the engine is turned off - it regularly shows that the pressure is at zero, but a second after starting the engine, two upper segments and two lower ones light up.

(a similar thing was with a temperature indicator when I closed the wire from the temperature sensor to ground) but in the case of pressure, a short to ground is excluded, since I threw a new separate wire from the sensor to the dashboard.
Maybe there is some resistor needed?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,661 Posts
The resistor should be integrated into the circuit on instrument cluster itself, unless there was a variation of that cluster that used a real sending unit(which I’m 99.9% certain isn’t the case). Short of it being a problem with the cluster or being the wrong pressure switch, I have found that wire length has a profound effect on the gauge reading, the resistance of the wire running the length of the engine, to the passenger side of the firewall and through the dash is enough to cause the gauge to read lower, where a shorter wire run more direct causes it to read high.

·
Super Moderator
11,624 Posts
Some cars had the resistor in the wire, near the sender.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try different resistors. I know that the pressure is "OK" I measured it with the mechanical tool. Bit i want to see it on the dash, so ill try to find nominal of resistor that would show the middle lamp on the pressure oil unit

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
I'll try different resistors. I know that the pressure is "OK" I measured it with the mechanical tool. Bit i want to see it on the dash, so ill try to find nominal of resistor that would show the middle lamp on the pressure oil unit
I have a better idea - put a actual sending unit on it, and let it indicate proportionate to the actual pressure.

RwP

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a better idea - put a actual sending unit on it, and let it indicate proportionate to the actual pressure.

RwP
Apparently you did not see in the text of the first message, I have a motorcraft sender that should show differentiated values.
but instead of showing real pressure, the dash shows some kind of bulls**t)

·
Administrator
19,661 Posts
Apparently you did not see in the text of the first message, I have a motorcraft sender that should show differentiated values.
sw2220 isn’t a real sender, it’s a pressure switch. You’d want Motorcraft SW-873-B for a real variable sender

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
No, I did read the first message.

As Matt points out, the SW2220 is a SWITCH, not a SENDING UNIT.

So I repeat - try a sending unit instead of a switch.

(Matt has the right number for Motorcraft - a SW-873-B. Also possible units are the WVE 1S6589, the Standard Motor Products PS240, and a few others. I know RockAuto says it's a sending unit, but it's not ... )

RwP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I did read the first message.

As Matt points out, the SW2220 is a SWITCH, not a SENDING UNIT.

So I repeat - try a sending unit instead of a switch.

(Matt has the right number for Motorcraft - a SW-873-B. Also possible units are the WVE 1S6589, the Standard Motor Products PS240, and a few others. I know RockAuto says it's a sending unit, but it's not ... )

RwP
So, for my understand,
SENDING UNIT - when we have gauge or elecronic cluster that shows REAL PRESSURE
SWITCH - when we have only one red bulb, that lights when there is no pressure in engine
Right?)
Judging by your messages, you want to say that SW2220 is it just a sensor to turn on an oil pressure light bulb? But rockauto and our local stores pisition this thing like an SENDING UNIT
(maybe i dont understand somethung, English is not my native language)

I have already tried Standart Motor product PS240 - the result is the same, it was the first sensor I bought, after which I already bought a motorcraft SW2220.

As for this sensor (WWE 1S6589), how does it differ if the description is the same and compatibility is written with the electronic panel? Rockauto error?

·
Administrator
19,661 Posts
So, for my understand,
SENDING UNIT - when we have gauge or elecronic cluster that shows REAL PRESSURE
SWITCH - when we have only one red bulb, that lights when there is no pressure in engine
Right?)
Judging by your messages, you want to say that SW2220 is it just a sensor to turn on an oil pressure light bulb? But rockauto and our local stores pisition this thing like an SENDING UNIT
(maybe i dont understand somethung, English is not my native language)

I have already tried Standart Motor product PS240 - the result is the same, it was the first sensor I bought, after which I already bought a motorcraft SW2220.

As for this sensor (WWE 1S6589), how does it differ if the description is the same and compatibility is written with the electronic panel? Rockauto error? View attachment 44642
The stock design for the gauge is to display a static oil pressure reading, accomplished using a pressure switch that closesthe circuit above 6 psi and an in-line resistor to “calibrate” where the gauge constantly reads. It effectively makes the gauge function no differently than a oil pressure light. The sender between the fake gauge and dummy light are basically the same thing, only the dummy light one is a normally closed circuit and opens with pressure - turning off the light - and the fake gauge one is a normally open circuit - giving the gauge a reading

Rockauto won’t have the right part if you’re looking for your year Thunderbird, the factory design uses a pressure switch, not a variable sender. The real variable sending unit is visibly quite a bit larger than the switches as you can see.

SW2220

SW-873-B

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stock design for the gauge is to display a static oil pressure reading, accomplished using a pressure switch that closesthe circuit above 6 psi and an in-line resistor to “calibrate” where the gauge constantly reads. It effectively makes the gauge function no differently than a oil pressure light. The sender between the fake gauge and dummy light are basically the same thing, only the dummy light one is a normally closed circuit and opens with pressure - turning off the light - and the fake gauge one is a normally open circuit - giving the gauge a reading

Rockauto won’t have the right part if you’re looking for your year Thunderbird, the factory design uses a pressure switch, not a variable sender. The real variable sending unit is visibly quite a bit larger than the switches as you can see.
understood, great thanks! I'll try to put a similar sensor from a Russian car, they are very similar in the picture, and in it it controls the pressure arrow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts