TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi im new on this forum and i recently sarting to have this problem

when i start my car when its completely cold the oil pressure dont go up and it takes like 5 secs and sometimes 10 secs after that the oil pressure just go up like normal i dont know what is the problem

recently i changed the oil sender unit for a new one and change the oil and it keeps doing the same thing

btw sorry for my english

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
maybe the gauge sticks? hit the dash on the top and see if it helps. I had this on an explorer. If you had no oil pressure you would hear crazy noises.

You can also check for voltage at the sender when it starts up.
________

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
could be your oil wieght, if you put something crazy like 20w50 in it. but my guess is if you changed the pressure sender then maybe that one is just slightly slower that your OEM, is it a cheap'o thing from your local parts store? as long as your not making crazy noise like tbird said, you should be fine. it would knock or clatter if it had no oil pressure.

·
Registered
239 Posts
hi im new on this forum and i recently sarting to have this problem

when i start my car when its completely cold the oil pressure dont go up and it takes like 5 secs and sometimes 10 secs after that the oil pressure just go up like normal i dont know what is the problem

recently i changed the oil sender unit for a new one and change the oil and it keeps doing the same thing

btw sorry for my english
assuming u checked the connector to sender unit when u changed it, ur problem is probably in the dash. i had the same problem, but it quit after i took the gauge cluster out and carefully slided that electronic board on the side of the unit, checked the connections and plug everything back. i never had any problems again, my guess is that it was a dirty or loose connection.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys but i think that this as become a major problem today i started like on 7 am whit the hood open and on the passenger side head i hear some knocks i think that my engine just broke and im afraid that i will have to take it off to see what went wrong

or i can take a video and show it to you and you tell me waht do you think

oo and the new oil sender its from motorcraft and they tell me thats its the same that my thunder uses

·
Registered
92 Posts
my gauge has been doing the same thing every time I start it cold. I found that the wiring to the sending unit had some cuts in it so I replaced it. I would go out and get a oil pressure tester and test it with that to see what you really have. If that still says low oil pressure then I would start digging into more.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
:p yeah anything without a backflow valve(not really a problem with Fram) should not be put on these 4.6s. oil just flows back out of the heads and block through the filter and on startup it scores the hell out of the bearings and cylinders while its trying to pump the oil back up. i find that even with the motorcraft mine still dose it if i leave it sit for more than a few days without starting.

i think its just motorcraft that have the valve, but Wix might have it too, not sure seem to remember someone telling me that sometime in the past.

but anyway, dose it continue to knock after the first few sec of startup? if it was the filter it should stop, unless it has tons of miles on it. and like everyone else is saying, might want to check the wireing for that sender all the way back to the firewall, might have a slice in it somwhere, and water is getting up in their and oxidising the wire.

hopefully your pump didnt wear out, might have to tear into the motor and change that eventually if you dont find a problem with the guage or sender/wiring...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts