TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have an after market cooler on my car. I Got it from Carquest years ago and its like a 3rd of the size of my radiator. The guys on the counter said it was a 40k unit?? or something like that. But my problem is that Now that I have this Aeroforce gauge I can moniter all kinds of things and one of them is the trans temp. It usually runs about 170* on average but yesterday It got to 214*. I was wondering is there a wrong way to run the lines? I dont think so but nothing is blocking the coooler. Its mounted to my radiator and is in direct airflow.

I've been having nothing but problems with this damn car and Im getting real tired of it. I think this is the reason I have to have a transmission built now. It slips all over in the 1-2 shift. I'm having the man build me a new one maybe I should just get a new cooler as well.

Also the transmission is full of fresh mercV fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
How did you run the cooler. Kinked lines can cause serious problems. Long lengths of rubber hose can easily kink when warm.
Alan

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran them from the main lines. Around the radiator. I didnt even think about kinked lines. I'll have to check that out.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
does it go through the radiator first then through the cooler, and then back to the trans?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trans to the cooler back to the trans. Radiator has been byoassed completely

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Trans to the cooler back to the trans. Radiator has been byoassed completely
I'm interested in what people have to say about your issue as well, and here is why. I have a 2003 Cobra radiator in my car and have my transmission cooler tubed up exactly like yours (Cobra's are manual, so I HAD to do it that way). I don't have a tranny temp gauge on mine, but I did notice it didn't take very long for my Merc V to get a little on the dark side. It doesn't smell burnt, but it's definately much darker than when I put it in. I'm wondering if my tranny isn't running hot. It doesn't slip or act up in any way whatsoever, but that fluid has me worried sick...

I know...if it's not broke, don't fix it. I REALLY need to get a gauge on mine - summer is coming, it gets 100* here regularly (which is why I had to change the radiator to begin with - car kept running hot), and this is my daily driver.

BTW, I got the medium duty tranny cooler, I don't remember the rating...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts