TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i got the xcal2 tuner fom lonnie today and it works great, other than the fact i think the maf transfer is wrong prolly on my side. The unit is a 80mm NEW 1994 MAFS from a mark 8. The mark mafs has the 4 pin connector so i grabbed a spare 4pin harness and removed my 6pin harness from my stock maf and soldered the 4pin in. So the 4 pin harness is now on the 80mm maf but the car has a fluctuating idle and the exhaust reaks of gas.

some vids of what im talking about:
-Video #1
-Video #2

I thought i wired the harness wrong but they are color coded so i matched the wires by color.

I am getting these readings from my MAF harness with the key on engine off...
Red - 0.025v
Blk/wht - 0.025v
Tan/LtBlue - 0.025v
Blue/Red - 0.056v

Are they supposed to have different values or is something connected incorrectly? Sounds like a hissing noise right before the idle drops and the engine stalls and i checked all the vacuum lines and they seem fine. I did install a bbk fenderwell intake but its still in place and pretty tight.

Help is appreciated.

-Mike

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know the voltage specs for the maf harness circuit? maybe i have to switch the wires around who knows...

on the 6pin harness the wires ran into ports 2-5 while the othe 2 were not used. on the 4pin harness its a,b,c,d so yea im not too sure on what to do. im pretty much clueless and i know it cant be a bad maf cuz its brand new...

·
Super Moderator
12,233 Posts
does the mark maf accept the same "style" plug as your stock harness?

if not, then the wires are probably reversed....as you mentioned, the 96/97 mn12 connector the wires would be A-B-C-D from left to right looking down on the maf connector, which would correspond to the 2nd thru 5th spots, also from left to right.....so if the mark maf has the older style connector, the wires would be D-C-B-A, from left to right....i've never seen the maf, so i cant tell ya if it is the old style connector

i have a feeling it is wired reversed, since the red wire should most definitely have 12V on it referenced to chassis (battery) ground with Key on engine off

can you post pics of both maf connectors and all wires? i dont know if this info is visible in the vids since for some reason i couldnt view them

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well like i said all the wires are matching color wise and im clueless right now.

Could they be backwards or is it something else that would cause it to run rich?

I believe the wires are in the proper order...lemme know if im wrong..

-Mike

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'll give you a call later this evening and we can then figure this out. There's no reason why programming could be off unless the reman meter has a different calibration. You will need to data log for me. Are you getting any codes?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no check engine lights are on....i dont have a labtop to datalog tho

maybe i can wire in my old 6 pin connector and connect my stock maf then return the ecu back to stock to rule it out...i dont know....

edit: so the wires are in correct order or not? lol

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You can data log on the device. Check out the info CD that I sent you with the XCal 2. Most people throw that CD thinking it is just an advertisement or something. Then the big long email I sent you has the full user's manual link in it. In the email I said to download the whole manual and read it. Again most blow that off and delete it. Then call or email me on how to do something.

Chances are the company that was contracted to reman the MAF may have set it up incorrectly. Other that I don't know why you are having issues. If you don't have a CEL for rich then what makes you think it's running rich. You can't go by smell and the liquid coming out the tail pipes is not fuel. That's condensation, if it was raw fuel then that car would be on fire by now.

Check your email.

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lonnie you ARE THE MAN!! The tune you sent via email fixed the problem!!!

i loaded in the program you sent for the 98 mark 8 maf and it doesnt die anymore!! lol the idle does move around maybe about 50rpm max but i will datalogg it and see if i can send it to you so you can make final adjustments?

Thanks again lonnie..

edit: you see why lonnie is the man guys? ;)

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Can you return the MAF sensor ?

·
Banned
5,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the sensor isnt the problem, plus i dont want to re-wire my harness again to accept the other style maf. i sent lonnie some datalogging files to see if the sensor is the culprit seeing if it has the right voltage readings and counts. No check engine light has come on..

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Have you tried to reset the computer ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.