TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 tbird with the 3.8 and 167000 miles. I was getting a throttle position sensor code so i purchased a new one and installed it. After start up the car seemed to idle as it should for a few seconds up to a min. Then the revs will climb into the 1500-2000rpm range and make the car extremely hard to operate. I have heard of other people having this issue but havent heard of a solid solution. So before I go any further im hopeing someone on here can help me out as far as where to look first. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Uh, hi. You should try introducing yourself first. Its polite thing to do.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have a 96 tbird with the 3.8 and 167000 miles. I was getting a throttle position sensor code so i purchased a new one and installed it. After start up the car seemed to idle as it should for a few seconds up to a min. Then the revs will climb into the 1500-2000rpm range and make the car extremely hard to operate. I have heard of other people having this issue but havent heard of a solid solution. So before I go any further im hopeing someone on here can help me out as far as where to look first. Thanks!!
Yes, you should introduce yourself.

As for your problem, you need to adjust the TPS. Check the voltage coming from it with the trottle closed. It's supposed to be ~0.98vdc.

When mine was at 1.00-1.05vdc (which doesn't sound like much difference), I had the same issues you're having.

If you don't want to mess with elongating the holes to make some adjustment possible, you can try disconnecting your battery a few minutes to reset the ECM and see if it adjusts to your new TPS without you having to change anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts