TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi to everyone, first post here. Just installed a K&N kit on the bird (the stock box is gone), and having problems. as soon as i press the gas pedal, the RPM's drop, the harder i push it the lower they will go before starting to rev up. It almost feels as though initially the air supply gets blocked or something. anyone have any thoughts??
thanx for any advice
Paul

·
Registered
218 Posts
Check your you MAF

This happened right after you installed your K&N intake? Sounds like your mass airflow sensor might not be reading for some reason. Make sure it's plugged in right, was it jarred during installation?

If not it could be a dead spot in the TPS (throttle position sensor).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it did happen right after i installed the K&N and i automatically assumed it was the sensor but it appears to be plugged in correctly. may be i should disconnect it and see if the car still does it, would that work?
back to the your other suggestion, how would i check for the dead spots in the TPS? (and what are they?):)
thanx a lot for oyur help
Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was talking about the Mass airflow sensor in the first paragraph, not to get anyone confused....

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
There's a button that lets you edit your own posts. Next time do that rather than make an additional post. It makes life easier. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sensor testing

I would definitely try unplugging the MAF while it's running. If it behaves the same, that's your problem. Also, just brainstorming here, make sure the MAF is installed flowing in the right direction, there's an arrow on it that should point in the flow direction. I don't know if it even could be put in backwards. Just trying to cover all bases.

It is possible that the MAF was going bad and just disturbing it by installing the filter could have finished it off.

As far as TPS dead spots go, the only way I know to test it is with a multimeter. The TPS is essetially a rheostat with a needle that sweeps across a wound field. The field can develop a spot where it looses contact. To test it, get a multimeter on low voltage DC mode and measure the voltage in and out of the TPS to a good ground. On the output wire, the votage should increase and deacrease as you open and close the throttle. If at any time the voltage drops to zero as you slowly move the throttle, you might have a dead spot. I would start with the MAF first though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx a lot, ill mess with it this weekend. hopefully it is the MAF because this is sooo irritating.
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts