TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on installing my new shocks/springs today - but the lower shock bolt just wont budge. The nut is off it, but the bolt wont slide out, even with the convincing of a 5lb sledge. What's the deal? This has to have been removed before because the lower arm looks new and is stamped TRW on it... I'm going back down to wrench some more, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That thread is nice and all, but i tried that. unfortunately the slit in the sleeve faces towards the car, so theres no real way to hit it hard enough with a punch to do anything. 120psi on the impact didnt do anything, and the 5lb sledge is starting to mushroom the bottom of the bolt.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
put the car back together - after doing a header install on an F-body I no longer have tolerance for simple jobs that take a week to do. Looks like I'll be on stock shocks/springs for carlisle and in a month or two when I've got the $ lying around I'll have someone else do it. I've pulled engines and trannies out of MN12s in less time than this shock/spring set would take me to install, thats sad.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
2 words, fire wrench! and then get a new arm .

·
Registered
125 Posts
You could take a cut off wheel or a sawz-all and cut the bolt and the bushing in between the shock and the arm. I had to do that on my last T-bird. You can get both from rockauto. Also as a note if you anitsieze the bolt well when you put it back together, It will come apart again.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just had this battle this week, I ended up cutting the bolt then put the arm in a vise and beat the bolt out with a 4lb sledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts