TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my driver side door will not shut all the way and the two metal latches sometimes bounce right off the little bar they close on to...it also stripped that plastic layer that was over the metal bar and i want to get this fixed so the car does not start looking ghetty...tried wd40, slamming the hell out of the door, and messing with the latches, any other advice? thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,698 Posts
go get a spray can of white lithium grease and spray it on the latching mechanism in the door. Soak the hell out of it, wait a while, then spray it some more, than clean up the door jamb. That will probably fix it, but if not it should at least help a little.

Mike

·
Registered
708 Posts
you need a new lower hinge assembly. you can use a pin repair kit, but just get the hinge, brand new, then get a new striker. it will come with the nylon sleeve.

When the door is open, grab the door and lift it. you will see a lot of play up and down. lower hinge is usually the culprit, and far easier to swap out than the upper one. Do not let the door just bounce off the striker, it WILL crack the sheetmetal in the jamb area, and that is not fun to fix.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont think its the hinges or upper/lower pins...the door sits pretty centered but just where it latches onto the rod to shut it is not going on all the way...is it just because that plastic or nylon sleeve that was on the rod is gone? i see three screws near the latches on the door and one for the rod that has a torx bit, would fabricating some type of sleeve help any? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
You can adjust the position of the striker bolt (the one with the plastic sleeve on it)

Just loosen it and slide it out a tad. Maybe it is in too far for the hook to fully engage.

·
Registered
123 Posts
..go to the junk yard and get one with the nylon sleeve from a tbird.....that's what I did and the door now closes. properly.
z

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are they all the same size? will a 92 go into a 97?

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Why do you think they made the striker adjustable?

He said that he didn't think it was the hinge pins, as the door seems to line up properly. Maybe the striker bolt has shifted inwards, thus causing the latch hook to hang.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
Why do you think they made the striker adjustable?

He said that he didn't think it was the hinge pins, as the door seems to line up properly. Maybe the striker bolt has shifted inwards, thus causing the latch hook to hang.
Fine adjust striker, but if the plastic is worn off of it, it is not the striker that needs to be adjusted or replaced. It would be obvious that the door sags or a bushing is worn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts