TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is rebuilding a 4.2L for his 97 F-150. Other than the issue with the timing cover gasket, are there any other reliability issues that can be taken care of while the motor is being rebuilt? Can anything be done to improve rod and main bearing oiling?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Rod

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Double check me but seems I've heard of some lower intake manifold sealing problems on them too....

There were a few threads on the 4.2 problems at ford-trucks.com and the Mustang guys at v6power.net are using them more and more so they might be able to help with the oiling question.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
ya, timing cover and lower intake gaskets were the main problems. As for increased oiling I don't know what you could really do, possibly get the Melling High volume pump made for the SC and chamfer the oil holes on the crank or possibly cross drilling. What went wrong? spun rod bearing due to coolant in the oil?

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rancherlee said:
What went wrong? spun rod bearing due to coolant in the oil?
You guessed it.

We are having the oiling holes in the crankshaft chamfered. I also recommended that he use the ARP head studs, so hopefully he won't have any more problems in the future.

-Rod

1 - 4 of 4 Posts