TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this for my girlfriends car she just got...
There are several problems I was wondering what they might be
1. when the car sits a while and starts it smokes light colored smoke that smells like unburned fuel.
2. the car has a bad surge that goes at idle and goes away once the engine warms up.
3. when sitting still, WOT gives the car an awful miss and won't rev up, smoke pours from exhause like when it starts.

No hurry, thanks alot guys.
There is also no smell of antifreeze in the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Number 1 sounds like it needs new plugs
Number 2 is likely the IAC
Number 3 sounds like it needs new plugs and clean the MAF

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where is the IAC on a 95', I looked all over the engine for something that would look like it. I'll clean the MAF maybe tonight, probably new plugs when it warms up outside, and the snow goes away a little bit more, thanks

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
behind the throttle body about 3 inches down its kind of hard to see it looks like a round cylinder with 2 wires going to it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The MAF is clean it looks almost new, and there is no cylinder behind or on the side there is one on that picture. there is a small cylinder on the other side with 2 vaccum lines to it. there is also a square thing behind the throttle body.

thanks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
In Dr. FrankenCougie's pic, it is the cylinder just to the left of the TB/plenum. It's attached and laying on the paper.

Just a friendly word of caution. The IAC is held on by 2 bolts, when putting them back on, make sure you don't loose one in the intake. I dropped one and thought it went under the intake. Wrong. It went in the intake. A few days later I found it when the engine ate it. Got a PI engine out of it tho lol.

Rob

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
:zwthstpd:

ya i would just replace it if it were a 96-97 i would say clean it because its alot easier take take off on those. The 94-95 isnt really hard but kind of a PITA

-matt-

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Off the top of my head i cant remember if that would do anything, but you could give it a try. Most likely its clogged up with carbon and crap and not working correctly. Also you said the MAF looked clean almost new. Did you try to clean it off anyways just for giggles?? I would do that to because you cant always see the dirt and crap. If you do that you gotta reset your eec

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I reset it once, I'll do it again, I'll clean both sensors probably this weekend (when the car is home) and hope for the best.

thanks everyone.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, this morning the car would not start without giving it a little throttle. I tried unplugging the MAF and then the TPS, there was no change in how it ran. When the car is driving down the road it has a surge or a buck to it, It seemed to be worse at certain throttle amounts. which is why I tried unplugging the TPS, this made no change. I unplugged the MAF, that only made it worse. I pulled one of the plugs, it had a little oil burned deposits but nothing too bad. It acts funny while driving which makes me want to rule out the IAC.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Its tough to get to and that sucks, but it has to be there. I am about 100% positive that there was never one that left the factory without it. LOL

Darrin

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Don't know why that edit didn't work...
You want to replace number 7. Its on the back drivers side beside the intake elbow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry about that, I didn't realize it was buried on the bottom of the plentum, I unplugged it, the car ran great with a little gas, shimmed it, gonna get a new IAC tonight, put it in tommorow, thanks alot guys.

thank you so much.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts