TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I modified mine and I've had no problems. I would like to know what problems anyone has had and what year the car they did it on is. Also I did not drill mine to what the instructions said. I drilled the sampling tube to 29/64".
I am just curious as to how it works great for me yet some people it doesn't work for.
Not really looking for lectures on it is bad to modify the maf either. Just looking for posts from people who have actually done it or maybe wanting to do it.
Oh please post if you've had success also.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Did you notice anytihng from the MAF mod? I havent heard this thing brought up in a while :)
-Rob

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I would wager if you don't want to hear why you shouldn't have don it that you won't get many responses.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I can't say if I noticed with only the mod I also have an aluminum intake with a cone filter at the end. that is my only mod and I ran 15.3 and actually think I will do at least that next time I go. I will replace it with a stock one to see the difference though with the rest of the setup in place.
Oh and if you just saw the post without drilling the hole it runs like crap:ztoohot:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
on my old 94, i comletely polished the inside, took out the middle tube, so it was just the sampling tube up top, ran like a charm, i didnt have problems and it actauly seemed peppyer, but could have been some other odds and ends i did, but as u notice the 96 doesnt have it :D

i wouldnt do it a 2nd time, i dont think its worth the hassle, i also dont believe its as horrible as people make it out to be, but again, wouldnt do it to my own car

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
ps i.d. on these mafs are 65mm i believe

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joey,
You didn't say if you drilled the sampling tube larger. I defnitely notice my car is very torquey even when cruisin like 55mph in overdrive. On mn12performance.com it says the oem one is 70mm unless that is for the supercoupe.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
What you need to know is the reaon it is peppier is that your motor is now running lean. It's not a good idea to fool the EEC

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well Im running 15.3 quarter mile. The temperature is fine no problems. You would run lean if you didn't drill the sampling tube larger. Normally if you run lean your temperature would go up alot and you would not get good performance. Too rich or too lean decreases performance not increases.
Also you aren't fooling it. You allow more flow so you drill the sampling tube larger to sample the larger flow.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Believe what you want but horsepower doesn't magically increase without a change in A/F ratio or timing. If what you have done fools the EEC into changing the A/F ratio, which it aparently has to the lean side because richer certainly wouldn't be faster, you are asking for trouble. Before you counter with more airflow + more fuel = more power none of what you have done has increased the amount of air travelling through the TB (like forced induction). You are welcome to do what you want on your car but don't whine when you lose a ring land. My reason for posting this is so that other individuals who might be considdering this understand the full ramification of what they are doing

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It decreases turbulence. Which is exactly what a good intake will do. That post along with all of the ripples in all stock intakes restricts the flow by adding turbulence. Ok so I am at the lean side. What is bad about that? No temperature increase, better performance. Main thing if it is leaner it is not too lean. .7 seconds difference with this and the air intake. I will switch it to stock and see what the true difference is in just the maf.

·
Registered
704 Posts
running lean doesnt MEAN your temperature will GO UP.

If that was the case, you could DYNO TUNE VIA YOUR COOLANT TEMP SENSOR?

yea.. ok... I'm gonna believe that for about a NANOSECOND.

Ok everyone run out and HOG YOUR MAF, but pay close attention to you coolant temperature to make sure your not running LEAN.

NOw.. I believe I've actually "heard it all".

wait.. there's gonna be a REPLY.. maybe I Haven't heard it all yet.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I wonder if doing that to mine will make my car run 15.3's.

The only problem with that is.. in order to run 15.3's I'd be SLOWING DOWN A FULL SECOND in the 1/4

no thanks, I'll pass and stick to "tried, true and TRUSTED mods".

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it is running great like I said I will also switch to the stock maf and let you know the difference in the two. This post was for people who have done it though and I wanted to avoid this talk because its been on here. I am trying to see who has done it and what problems they have had I dont want to hear THEORY. I want to see practice. Basically if you have done this please post. If you want to teach about this then create a new post. If you haven't done it don't do it. There this pleases the theory people.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Just to please you everyone I know who did it switched back.....like three years ago. Some of those guys like DanU no longer post here because people wouldn't listen or would argue with them even though they had actually done it and posted about their problems

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What make and model is the car and what size did he drill the sampling tube? I am trying to figure out if people have problems on the 94-95 and if they drilled the sampling tubes different size. The recommended for this was 15/32" but I drilled my a hair less to 29/64" just to not go too big. I figured if I had a problem I could drill it bigger but can't drill it smaller.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
He drove a 96. He followed the instructions in the tech article. You could try to search on the name DanU in the archives but I don't know how far back it goes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
funnyfingers said:
Well it is running great like I said .
Motors that are running lean, generally run GREAT.. just before the MELT something.
ASK AROUND......

Like was mentioned above, you can whatever you want to the MAF and not a single more molecule of air is going to pass thru your throttle body, because the throttle body is the smallest HOLE in the intake.. "not the MAF".

By passing MORE air thru the MAF, and screwing with the computers signal... you aren't doing yourself, your engine or any "newbies" any favors.

By leaning out the motor you may have "picked up some et"... but at what expense.
I dont know.. you dont know.. no one knows because it's all "Theory" as you put it.

IN THEORY, you'll need some major engine work soon... unless your very lucky.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The people who have had them replaced, what signs did they get. I've heard people say it ran like crap and some say no difference. I am wondering why it would make one run like crap and another not. I am wondering if me drilling it to 29/64" made the difference. I have been runnng this for way over a year and way over 30k miles.

·
Registered
704 Posts
In your last reply, you said.

"I heard"...blah blah
"I wonder"..blah blah
"I wonder"..blah blah

This is exactly what your ECM is saying when it "hears" from the MAF.
"I heard"
"I wonder"
"I wonder"
Blah blah blah

Only problem is the MAF isn't giving true and accurate date..

it's giving HEARSEY!

Just as this post is based purely on hearsey with no actual data to support it.

Now.. I'm noticing a pattern.

G.I.G.O.!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts