TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 97 bird v8 4.6 started to leak coolent from intake. So i replaced the intake and now the leaking problem stoped but about 2 minutes into running the car it started to hammer from somewhere of the bottom of the engine. No smoke, no oil in antifreeze, and no antifreeze in oil? Lifters look good i checked them again. The engine oil is full too. Engine milage is 127k....
Whats next to check? Any help would be really appriciated
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
you checked the lifters in the head after doing an intake swap? something is not adding up. You mean to tell me, you removed the valve covers, the timing cover, removed the timing chain, unbolted the camshafts, and checked the lifters, all because of an engine noise? Something sounds fishy....

You might want to be more clear as to exactly what you have done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No i mean i took off the whole intake ...took the old gaskets off put new once on..but i looked in the holes where you can see all the rods and they all connected. I never messed with nothing else amd never opened anything extra. Except the intake the alternator and took the ingectors off thats pretty much

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
With a SOHC cam in head engine such as a 4.6, there are no push rods to see, only thing you can see looking in the intake ports on the heads are valve stems.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
With a SOHC cam in head engine such as a 4.6, there are no push rods to see, only thing you can see looking in the intake ports on the heads are valve stems.
Yes, no pushrods, overhead cams that are under the valve covers. The "lifters" really aren't lifting anything (like in an OHV/in-block cam engine), the "rockers" are actually cam riders that sit on top of the valve stems.

Think two 2.3L four bangers stuck together and voila, the 4.6L was born! lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Actually Rick, that's basically what Ford did lol. They took two Lima 2.3's and put them together lol. Revised the heads and firing order and there ya go lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what should.i start checking? Im going to drain oil today after work and try see if there is metal shawings in there

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope never droped nothing in there and ill try posting a video today. The sound coming like from under the car but who knows cuz sound travels

·
The Parts Guy
7,268 Posts
So what should.i start checking? Im going to drain oil today after work and try see if there is metal shawings in there
Cut the oil filter open and inspect the filter media for bearing material.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
drained the oil today too there was no shawings in there, and i cut the filter open too never see any metal or nothing, and i used the magnet in the oil. after that i put 2 bottles of that lucas oil stabilizer and 3qts of oil. still the same problem. no smoke at all. no oil in antifreeze and no antifreeze in oil.

·
The Parts Guy
7,268 Posts
I'm sure it isn't what you want to hear, but it's time to pull the engine and do a complete tear down.

·
The Parts Guy
7,268 Posts
It sounds like a spun rod bearing from that video. Did you drain the coolant prior to removing the original intake manifold? Did you pull the plugs and spin the engine over to clear the cylinders of any coolant that may have made it into the cylinders during the intake manifold swap prior to firing the engine?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
That's definitely bottom end noise. Time for a rebuild. Holy crap!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts