TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I put a spoiler on the trunk of my 94 cougar, and now the trunk doesn't pop up and doesn't want to stay up once raised. Does anyone know the procedure to adjust the torsion bars so that the trunk rises up again? I searched but couldn't find the exact procedure, just a bunch of people saying that they knew it could be done. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
if you look in the tech section off the main page there is a hydraulic strut mod for this issue

·
Super Moderator
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know about the hydraulic strut mod, but I would prefer to do it by adjusting the torsion bars since it would A)Be a factory type of adjustment, B)Not cost anything, and C)Be more reliable than a hydraulic strut.

Mike

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
IIRC, they are not adjustable. That is the reason for the hydraulic strut mod.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The torsion bars in the trunk ARE adjustable - they need to be moved to a stiffer slot. Here's a pic - see the slots labeled "5":

Here's a link to a PDF file of the instructions from the service manual - do NOT try adjusting them without reading the instructions:

http://members.tccoa.com/johnaec/Torsion_Bar.pdf

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
johnaec said:
The torsion bars in the trunk ARE adjustable...
Cool. I never knew that.
Here's a post showing in great detail what you need to do the mod. I think it's even better than the tech article.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Update! I've wanted to do this for a while. (The mod, not the tightening thing.) After trying several different struts from AutoZone unsuccessfully, I pulled the hood struts out of my '93 parts car. I just popped one end on the stud sticking under the rear deck and the other on the spring sticking out of the hinge. They are actually on there tight. So I just did the mod for free. Think about going to the junkyard for the hood struts. Probaby $10 or $15 bucks and that's it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts