TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all - I've got a good question for everyone.

I have two vehicles that I'm driving right now, 1996 Exploder and 1995 TBird (my Lincoln is being worked on).

I have Progressive auto insurance & qualified for the 30% discount with the Exploder via the Snapshot program.

I told my agent I want to use the Snapshot on my TBird, too. But, the company says I can't because it's not a 1996. I tried to explain that it has an OBD-II port and their little Snapshot device will work in the vehicle, but my agent doesn't understand.

Sooooo, anybody run into that and have any answers to share???

Thanks in advance everyone! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts
Well, run your complaint up the ladder and talk to someone else at Progressive about it ...

Is "Snapshot" where you agree to let them track your every move with your vehicle in exchange for a discount? .... giving up your privacy for a discount?

That's a bit to Orwellian for me. No thanks.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'm with TM on this too, and I doubt you get to anyone of with power and knowledge that will change Company policy.

Also since conditions aren't monitored your vehicle's RPM, Acceleration (+ and -) and Throttle position are basically meaningless.

·
Super Moderator
10,376 Posts
:rofl:

I put the datalog computer in the trunk so hopefully no one ever gets a copy; I only run it occasionally.

Even that worries me; in rush hour traffic, it's lead, follow or die, at times. (no lol.)

I'd hate to have someone decide my insurance coverage based on a datalog of a 90mph merge with traffic; every Thursday for a month... :eek:

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
If the insurance agent doesnt undersand, talk to somebody else.

I dont have progressive, but if I did it wouldnt bother me to have a datalog of my activitities if it meant cheaper insurance. I have nothing to hide.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My brother has Snapshot. It completely screwed his car up. First it was just the brake light on the dash coming on. Then the ABS, then the SES light, then the low oil light, then airbag, and so on. I lnow what people are going to say, that thing didn't do that. But, he took it to a shop and had it diagnosed, and Progressive has agreed to pay for the diagnosis, and pcm reflash.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I only had to run it for a month to qualify for the discount.
A friend of mine and her husband did it with both of their vehicles, and got the maximum, also - 30%.
She even goes to the bar a lot and she told me exactly what the device records and how to "fool it" ;)

First, it records that it's hooked up constantly. If you unplug it, you get an email that it was disconnected.
Second, it records how quickly you stop - sudden stops will penalize you.
Third, it monitors how many miles you drive, but not where or how fast.
Fourth, it monitors the time of day - if you drive between midnight and 4am, it penalizes you.

While you have it plugged in, you can go online and see exactly what was recorded from your vehicle within 20 min.
That's all I know (from my experience and what my agent/friend told me).

As for screwing up your gauges, v8nick, our scanner at the shop does that on some vehicles.
I haven't used the scanner and logged the details enough yet to know exactly why ... :zdunno:
I know the half dozen or so times I've seen it happen, the ECM did NOT require a reflash - wow.

Personally, like I said, it worked well for the Explorer and I got zero penalties.
Daniela drives more aggressively than I do and I'm sure she will get more penalties! But ANY discount is better than none!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree, a discount would be awesome as I have Progressive as well. As fas as my brother's car goes, he had zero issues with it before snapshot. I rode with him and witnessed it myself. His snapshot beeps when you brake or accellerate too hard. We were at a complete stop in traffic and this thing would go off. It would go off everytime he hit the brake no matter how hard or easy he was with the brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree, a discount would be awesome as I have Progressive as well. As fas as my brother's car goes, he had zero issues with it before snapshot. I rode with him and witnessed it myself. His snapshot beeps when you brake or accellerate too hard. We were at a complete stop in traffic and this thing would go off. It would go off everytime he hit the brake no matter how hard or easy he was with the brakes.
Yes, it's something to do with the communication protocol in his vehicle, I suspect.

Is it a relatively new vehicle? Like a CAN network vehicle? That's what I'm thinking...

The beeping while braking or accelerating too hard is totally how it's supposed to act. Beeping means penalize.....

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's an 01 Grand Am GT. I'm sure it was a defective unit. If you just started the car, and put your foot on the brake, it would beep. I might look into it myself, I have a great rate alrady, but I'm all about saving money.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Yeah I can see that being a problem on a CAN network .. when you add something like the scanner, the network will think its part of its system and if you disconnect it without "logging out", it will set a check engine light code for having a missing module. So if its intercepting data, it can certainly alter it to the other modules.

I dont see why they would penalize you for driving between 12 and 4am ... thats insane, as if the time of day has anything to do with the way you drive - especially if you work a swing or grave shift.

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts
Yeah I can see that being a problem on a CAN network .. when you add something like the scanner, the network will think its part of its system and if you disconnect it without "logging out", it will set a check engine light code for having a missing module. So if its intercepting data, it can certainly alter it to the other modules.

I dont see why they would penalize you for driving between 12 and 4am ... thats insane, as if the time of day has anything to do with the way you drive - especially if you work a swing or grave shift.
LOL ... Most bars close at 2 AM. That makes perfect sense to me! :tongue:

If you're working the graveyard shift most of those start before midnight and end around 6 AM. But yea, a swing shift would end around midnight.

I'm sure if that were the case for you or anyone else (workign late) you could simply explain that to them. That's why they track you for a month to look for patterns. If you're out M-F during those hours and not during the weekend it would be understandable that you're working nights. But, if you're home during those hours during the week and out at 2 AM on say Friday or Saturday morning that would raise a red flag.

I also found this article after a brief search .... Don't say you weren't warned....

Is the Progressive Snapshot service all bullsh*t?

Progressive claims to offer discounts to drivers based on driving habits but in all actuality Progressive insurance is really concerned with gathering precise data based on your driving habits and distance. This data will be used to adjust your monthly payments and premiums to a higher cost. Think of it this way; your policy is based on an unmeasured evaluation- or guesstimate, needless to say , Progressive doesn’t trust what you tell them. Its all about driver data , dont say we didn’t tell you so. Youtube users claim “If you actually read the asterisk for Georgia, you’ll find that you are charged $30 “technology expense” during each policy term that you participate in Snapshot — that accounts for the 6% increase in your rate due to the Snapshot program. Since your driving didn’t qualify you for a discount, end your participation in Snapshot and the $30 fee goes away. Poof. Check out this interesting video” ...

http://nerdynerdnerdz.com/blog/2012/08/12/progressive-snapshot-is-a-scam/

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL ... Most bars close at 2 AM. That makes perfect sense to me! :tongue:

If you're working the graveyard shift most of those start before midnight and end around 6 AM. But yea, a swing shift would end around midnight.

I'm sure if that were the case for you or anyone else (workign late) you could simply explain that to them. That's why they track you for a month to look for patterns. If you're out M-F during those hours and not during the weekend it would be understandable that you're working nights. But, if you're home during those hours during the week and out at 2 AM on say Friday or Saturday morning that would raise a red flag.

I also found this article after a brief search .... Don't say you weren't warned....
I saw those postings on the web when I was checking around for it, too. Out of the 4 ppl I know that have Snapshot, nobody was charged anything.

One guy is pretty young and uses his vehicle all the time. He had his Snapshot for 4 months, then got an email that he might as well send it back because he was going to get 0% discount with his driving habits.
Whatever. Both his parents had Snapshot (they've already been through the program) and got the maximum 30% off.

I actually read that the CEO of Progressive gave a little speech about the program at an insurance conference. He said only 10% of all customers participate in Snapshot and that only 2/3 of the 10% actually get a discount. Just something to think about.

Personally, it's been 2 weeks for me, I have logged only 235 miles on the Explorer with no hard breaks.

As for the time driven, I haven't driven a single mile between midnight and 4 am ... AND I'M A DJ AT A BAR! I just either use the other car or ride home with somebody and get the Explorer in the morning.
There is also "Medium Risk" times and "Low Risk" times.
The only "Low Risk" times are 9am-3pm and 6pm-9pm on weekdays, 6am-9pm weekends.
Every other time is "Medium Risk" except for the 12am-4am every day which is "High Risk"

My two weeks have 25.4 miles Medium Risk, and almost 210 Low Risk; I don't have a single High Risk mile logged.

I'll let y'all know what happens after the first month initial discount review and at the 6 month completion.

·
Super Moderator
11,904 Posts
Pfft. 235 miles in two weeks is an average of only 16 to 17 miles a day. Even I could drive that with no hard breaks. lol

I'd love to put one of those in my car and take it to the track and see what they say. :eek: :tongue:

I wish you the best and hope that you can swing the max. 30% discount. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,376 Posts
I've done ~120miles a day, every weekday, since 02.

I've put ~180k on Lazarus, and ~180k on the Red Cougar, with some mileage on the other cars...

Assuming over 350k miles in 11 years, at an average 24mpg, that's 14,583 gallons of gas, for about $40k. :eek:

I paid a total of ~$12k for both cars, so I've spent far more in gas than car. :)

:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts