TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Notice: This article demonstrates what I have done to modify my car. Neither I nor TCCoA assume any responsibility if you use this article to try to modify your own car. You do so at your own risk.

Putting a used SVO on my 94 tbird on the cheap... cause I am.

So far the progress has been slow but steady.

Parts removed include the 94 fuel lines, upper and lower intake, throttle body, EGR tube, FEAD belt, alternator, upper radiator hose, drivers side coil pack. After freeing the power steering resv you remove the drivers side coil/resv mount. From this pile, you will reuse the alternator and coil pack. The rest is scrap to clutter your garage for a few months.

I dropped the exhaust and remove the passenger side cowl cover to give me more access.

Trans is the empty case from the original 94 I busted.

The Egr - knuckle buster but came out in one piece :D
Highly recommend hitting the EGR fittings with PB Blaster the day before. A couple of light taps on the fitting before you take a wrench to it and it should come off fairly easy. Watch your knuckles when it does finally give.

Engine compartment:

I've read some posts where people claim they have coolant leaking out of the converter inspection plate. If you look in the engine valley, right below the numbers "55783" there is a plug. This leads to the bellhousing of the trans. When your intake cracks, it's possible for coolant to leak through this plug. I guess at one time the plug was pliable rubber. Now it is almost solid like plastic.

96 fuel line installed. The 94/95 fuel rail has the fuel line connections and FPR in the same area that the intake of the SVO needs to be. When you change to the 96/97 fuel rail, you also need to change the fuel lines. Although I've seen one person that just bent the 94/95 lines to fit.

and mess from coolant.

Good news on the coolant... it ran to the end of my driveway and killed the grass running across it so now I don't have to hit that with round-up. :)

Injectors that came with this were painted or the paint was peeling off. Uck... Just has to come all the way off now. Gumout rocks.

Will probably repaint them black.

Cleaned, tapped and ready for assembly. The red circle shows where you drill and tap for the Lightning Air Charge Temp sensor. You drill a hole using a 37/64 bit. The tap is 3/8 NPT. No one around me carried the bit. Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Tru Value only had up to 1/2". Forget Sears (Kmart) the store by me is useless now. I ordered a bit from Grainger. Tru Value had the 3/8 NPT tap surprisingly.

The reason for tapping for the ACT:
The SVO does not have an intercooler. Nor is there any practical way to add one. You will need to have your computer retuned and your tuner can set it up to pull timing based on the intake temp. The ACT above now sits AFTER the charger in the compressed heated air.

to be continued...

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30#

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and side note... I washed all the coolant away so no animals would drink it.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
More progress and a $#@% set back.

Stock (and filthy) 96 fuel rail.

Moding the rail.

Molded Fuel line supplied in the SVO install kit.

Checking the pressure regulator. It was loose and would have made a nice mess.

O-rings look good. Clean it up and put it back on and tighten it.

Modified rail. All cleaned up and ready to go on.

Better check the thermostat.

O-ring was stuck in there and fused to the old thermostat.

Old vs New

SVO with rail and injectors installed:

Damn! Need a new alternator. Plastic on the back just disintegrated.

Off to go get some beer...

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll get a vid of the start but have to find a way to get it onto the computer. Might have to break down and buy a firewire card.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Next day... The old 2 steps forward, 3 steps back routine.

SVO on engine. This part was a bit of a beotch. Easier with two people but if you climb up in your engine you can manage yourself. I did and I'm an old man.

( I like how Ford conveniently placed a tool holder above the radiator. :D )

Plug wires run, New coil pack bracket and LH coil pack installed. Alternator mocked on. Be careful you don't pinch the plug wires under the SVO snout. Easy to do.

I was missing the extended heater hose that was supposed to come with the kit. Remember I bought this used. The heater hose runs from the outlet just below the thermostat housing to the inlet on the heater core. Apparently this hose is not available separate so if you didn't get one or yours breaks, you're stuck making one from straight hose and fittings.

That was the good stuff.

Now the questionable.
Pics of passenger side rear of SVO.

Maybe this is normal? Will have to ask some experts.

Now the bad.
First is the lovely 94 engine harness:

That's not gonna work. Have to break the plastic wire guide off and rewrap the harness.

1 wire plug + 2 wire sensor = NFG. Have to replace that sensor.

Round peg into a square hole? Nope. Need to get another pigtail or replace the sensor from your old intake.

... That's all for today ...

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Don't worry it's a dry hole. It freaked me out when I did my install too

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! :D

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope its obnoxious.

Don't think it is though. Have to ask Tim or RobP.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
weswing04 said:
sorry off topic...does that blower make a lot of noise(whine)?
Under normal driving conditions you would never know it's there but when you romp on it absolutely you can hear it spool up. To use a phrase I got from A-train it sounds like an atomic vacuum cleaner. :D

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will have more pics after Turkey day. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Saturday: more progress

Repaired the alternator, fixed up the intake, tightened up the coil bracket, power steering resv and alternator. Marked some wires. Replaced some temp sensors. Altered the rad hose. I think it's still a bit too long.

Thanks to tbirdbrain and his local connections, I was able to get a replacement regulator for the alternator. Saved me some cash.

Putting on the radiator hose. Had to trim some off one end. Thinking it could use some more at the other end. Looks like it's kinked too much in the middle

Engine so far. Minus the radiator hose, sensors replaced.

and still had time to cut the grass. :D

1 - 20 of 96 Posts