TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas

i'll keep it simple

who can help me install a transmission? :)

just as important, WHEN? :)

btw, brian, your SRBs are here.. we still on for this wednesday?

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R&R of a trans, "wire" in a new cooler.. possibly the rear end as well.. eh

my exhaust is in sections, takes a few minutes... only issue i foresee is the starter..

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh yeah.. while we dropping gas tank, might as well put the farken fuel pump in too...

i can PROBABLY drop the trans with me and a local nutjob... but putting it back in might be a b*tch, especially doin fuel pump, lines, and rear end

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
jamesD said:
oh yeah.. while we dropping gas tank, might as well put the farken fuel pump in too...

i can PROBABLY drop the trans with me and a local nutjob... but putting it back in might be a b*tch, especially doin fuel pump, lines, and rear end
From having done it, it sucks. Thankfully I had Mr. Brandt to quarterback the project with me assisting. :D

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Ahhh it's not that bad....but I will admit it comes down a lot easier than it goes up

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just finished swapping my tranny ('95 T-Bird) by myself. Was not hard, once all the crap was yanked out of the way. Actually did it without dropping the gas tank or snatching the driveshaft out. The hardest part was figuring out what needed to be removed and how to do it without tearing something else up. Haynes book was of no real benefit other than as a hand wipe.

Pick up a VW style flywheel lock in order to loosen the torque converter nuts. Slip it in the starter pocket. Remove the starter first....

The whole process would have been quite a bit easier if a lift had been available. As it was the car was lifted up and placed on jack stands (front and back).

Make sure you have a long extension for your socket driver and one of those universal knuckle gizmos. They work pretty good for removing/installing the catalytic converter assembly. If you have small hands and skinny arms, you could probably get by without it.

Only took 2 weeks to get all the grease and grime out from under my fingernails. Will take a little longer for some of the cuts to heal.

Mark

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well.. trans and converter should be here soon.. now, the big dilemma.. swap engines now, or wait...

eyes are pointing at a bullitt setup...

*updates.. trans is out.. fuel tank is on stands... driveshaft and exhaust are in the garage.. debating fuel pump swap now since it is on the ground.. maybe rear end now too... and make the lines for the cooler

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Do you really want to drop the gas tank again?

If I do, it's not going back up again. Will switch to a fuel cell.

·
6,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gas tank is practically on the ground heh... i don't care.. not too tough.. just a pita at times.. i'll prolly do the pump swap while i wait for d0g

1 - 11 of 11 Posts