TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friend's dad is going to be painting my car the same color, Graphite Nightmist Pearl Metallic Code ZU. I'm not expecting the best job but atleast decent. He doesn't have a booth but a shop. I know about dirt and dust and stuff. Anyway, he says he's gonna do 6 clearcoats. Is this too much or will it shine better. Also, will quick drying clearcoat I guess still have a factory shine?

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
i guess the best you could do would be wet the floor to keep the dust down. any minor dust in the clear should cut out before you polish. 6 coats of clear is a lot but i guess it depends how thick they are. you will loose some when you wet sand. i think prep will be more of an issue than dust. quick drying clear? its catalized so i guess it depends on the temp range of the hardner i would guess. you will want a hardner made for cold weather or it will take forever to cure.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he said we're weren't gonna wet sand it? Do we have to sand all the clearcoat off or would it be safe to leave some on just make it smooth. I meant quick drying hardner not clearcoat**

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
From a fellow ZU owner, ZU done with PPG and done right will be about the best looking factory paint color ever, most people think my car is some aftermarket color.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
you dont have to wet sand it, but that is how you get rid of the orange peel look to the paint. it will not remove all the clear, unless you sand too much. it will just the high spot down to where the lows are. maybe a few mils. this will also sand out any surface dust that got on the clear

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Helps to wet sand it. Here's what my brother's Cavy looks like after he got it back. He did the wetsanding himself to save on money and acutally get into what is done in a paint job, since that's what he's going into:

The guy painted it, and my brother pretty much did the rest of the work. He spent several hours over at the guy's shop.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can I get Graphite Nightmist Pearl Metallic at online? We have a local paint store but wouldn't I be able to save online? Anyway, list a website or two if possible.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
A quick tip:

400 wetsand the entire car before you paint it, no need to take off the clear. The old paint should have no shiney spots left, it should all be dull. Feather in any rock chips with 320, and then use sealer on any spots where you go through the paint. Have him shoot the paint. 4 coats of clear should be plenty for anyone, no need for 6, it's just more money. When the paint and clear is done, 1000 grit wetsand it until it doesn't have any orange peel left in it, avoid sanding on the corners if possible, since the paint will be thin there. After that, get a high speed orbital polisher, not just a buffer, and a good polishing pad, I use the new type, not wool, but it's more expensive, and 3M polishing compound from a body repair store, not the stuff you buy at Autozone. Good luck, you'll have strong hands and fingers by the time it's over with.

The stripes down the side are where it was 320'd to remove the marks where someone keyed my car. They are just down to the factory primer in most spots.
During Wet Sanding:

Dull finish:

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Color code ZU? Is that the color of the paint on my old bird (it was only available in 1995-1996...here is the color, I love it....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could I have a website where I could get the ZU paint from?

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
WHOO HOO FOR ZU!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts