TCCoA Forums banner

361 - 366 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
We will be needing lots of pics and various angles of video!

:Grin:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Well, the first attempt didn't work out. The car made it about 3/4 of the way around the course before it died. It turns out that the ignition fuse keeps blowing. I haven't had a chance to trace it back and see what the issue is yet but I see what it is at least. Anyway, enjoy a pic of the car where it got parked until we could pull it back on the trailer.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
I just realized that I didn't follow up on this thread and the event.

I traced the issue back to my laziness. The ignition power lead rubbed against the metal edge of the firewall where it passed through because I didn't push the boot where the wire bundle passed through. I fixed that and all was well.

I raced the car at an event on September 14th and overall it was fun. The car was running rough at idle (see "backfire" in the exhaust conversation) and I believe the problem is a leaky injector or two. I sent my original set of Ford Racing injectors off to get them cleaned and flow tested and they are coming back next week. Overall the entire experience was a blast. Manual steering is a challenge for autocross but it was just something to learn. I was worried about my brakes because of the amount of soft pedal at the top of the pedal but it turns out that there are still brakes in that part. The car has a ton of braking power. Obviously the ride is abusive but the overall handling was great. The big take away is that 3.27 gears aren't enough. The car felt kind of dead coming out of tight turns in 2nd gear. I have another pumpkin that's 3.73 so I'm going to switch to that. I guess bouncing off the rev limiter will be better than being slow. ;)

I was slow to respond because I took a month off from doing anything with the car at all. Between stress at work and a lot of my spare time being consumed from building a car, I was just burned out and needed a break.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
I'm happy you got the ignition probs taken care of; and a freshened set of injectors will be nice, too.

When it not fun, it's time to take a break; I understand for sure.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Glad to hear that the car is running good now.

Any pictures or video of the event?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

361 - 366 of 366 Posts