TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew this was a performance modification done on diesel engines, but a compression ignition engine (diesel) and a spark ignition engine (Gasoline) are much different. The Propane isn't going to do anything fo rhte gasoline enigne is it? Its called nitrous, kind of like the propane thing except for a spark ignition engine. Note, this post is inspired by a possible group purchase that is listed in the MN-12 nationals info and I just want to know if there are propane kits for gas motors anywhere, regardless of the make of car. Why do this when you can just use nitrous? You are going for the same effect, a power adder that is there only when you want it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have never heard of propane injection on a gas engine. On a diesel engine, the propane can be injected continously, unlike nitrous. Propane is flammable, nitrous is not, so they definitely behave differently. I don't believe propane can release enough energy fast enough to make a difference in a gas burning engine.

Nitrous releases pure oxygen (and nitrogen) when heated and compressed, just add fuel ;)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Propane requires Higher compression ratios to make the same amount of HP as Gasoline, Most Propane powered vehicals are around 11.5:1-12.5:1 compression to make the same amount of power as a 9.0:1 does on gas. Most Diesel engines run 14.5-22:1 compression ratios and Propane Thrives on this high compression, and also COOLS the intake air temprature considerably, but just Like N20 on a Gas engine, Too much propane is a bad thing.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Injecting propane would add fuel to the mixture. You need to have more oxygen added to balance out the mixture. Otherwise the mixture will run too rich.

Injecting nitrous adds available oxygen to the mixture. You need to have more fuel added to balance out the mixture. Otherwise the mixture will run too lean.

At this point, someone would probably think about adding both....(this is where you put your hand on your chin & think "Hmmmm") But that would require two bottles of liquified gases inside of a vehicle. That might not be the best idea. The only thing that should have two containers of liquified gases (one tank of fuel and one of oxidizer or oxygen source) in it is a rocket.

Just my $.02

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Yeah...

with propane and Nitirous, your car would be a rocket! or a pile of smoldering ruins, undisernable from a rocket :D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Re: Yeah...

GreenBird said:
with propane and Nitirous, your car would be a rocket! or a pile of smoldering ruins, undisernable from a rocket :D
I dunno, yuor car might run like a scalded ape for a little while, until something bad happened to those bottles. Then it'd turn your car into a rocket gone bad and turn YOU into a scalded ape.. :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Propane Enrichment

I know of propane enrichment kits used for the purposes of tuning the carburetor on some smaller gas engine cars. My first car was an 82 Honda Civic CVCC. It required a propane enrichment kit with a bottle, a regulator and a nozzle that fit inside the intake hose to adjust the idle speed and set the mixture. I'm not sure of the exact reason why, but the engine would idle faster while using the propane.

My brain is a dumping ground for usless information. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
propane injection

for propane injection we inject a small amount of propane which is a complete fuel into the return or lower manifold ,, the propane as it disperses gets cold 200 deg below zero some 65 below zero at intake port, the benifit of it is two fold the intake charge is cooled bigtime and propane added to the gasoline ala injection raises octain of 89 octain gas to 102-103

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wow

MannySC - Now I'm inerested.

I can see the benefit of cooling the intake charge, but wouldn't the propane itself, being a complete fuel, make the total mixture too rich? Or is the O2 sensor making the computer compensate for the additional fuel?

Do you add propane contiuously or just as an occasional boost such as Nitrous? At what flow rate? Do you have a specific jet size and pressure you use?

·
Registered
185 Posts
good place to start is

50hp nitrius injectors and solinoids hook to boost switch have come in about 7-8 lbslike i said good start each motor is different, this is a safe level, found this on a ricer site they use it to use 20-25 lbs boost...

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Well, I can see the benefits...

...on an engine that is supercharged or turbocharged. The injection of propane would richen the mixture under boost.

That makes more sense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
propane

Turbo magazine did a test on a TT 300ZX years ago and gained around 100hp because of being able to run aggressive timing table and more boost. You can also use alcahol (denatured) inj. Go to Turbo Buick and go to message forums and look under nitrous and alky.
A bud of mine runs 22psi on his Buick with a race chip for 108oct race gas using pump gas and alky!! They also have a post about propane too! I think alky and propane wouls be better used on pressurized cars.:D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Yeah, I was curious if anyone was gonna mention the turbo buicks. My best friend uses an SMC kit for the TRs that allows him nearly 26psi on 92 pump gas and he makes over 430hp at the wheels. He runs a [email protected] at sea level. Guess who can't get out of the hole? ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Alright, lowing temps is what I'm looking for. Anyone know of a kit that'll fit a 302 or will the one from the rice site fit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone...

Thought I would chime in. I am constantly finding Bulletin Boards referancing our system and try to pop in to answer any questoins you may have.

Currently we have sold to Ford Turbos, Typhoon-Syclones, Acura-Honda turbos, Mitsubishi Eclipes and 3000GT VR4's/Stealth Turbos, Toyota MR2 turbos, Pontiac Sc'd and even the folks with Buick GN's.

Everyone is impressed. The numbers are unreal. I can run higher boost then with 101 pump gas if I run 91 octane with propane.

A small 5# tank costs $2.50 to fill and can last 3-5 tank fill ups or 1-2 depending how CRAZY and WOT you run on the streets....

Propane is very high octane. This is the biggest benefit. It also leaves the tank at -60 degrees cooling intake temps but not by much. It's the Octane that makes it shine.

Our system was developed in conjunction with a well known knowledgable Propane company and our parts enede up be NOT off the shelf. Existing parts just did not have the flow we needed.

Nitrous Solenoids will not work either, we and other shops tried that aproach. The Cycle (on-off) required for propane leaves the solenoid open too long to use Nitrous Solenoids. e use an LPG solenoid that have been machined for flow.

Our Brass needle valve is also machined-bored for flow. Not off the shelf.

All in all for $350 shipped I don't think you will find a better, higher quality system for even twice the price.

Any questions please let me know.

http://www.importpoweronline.com/propane.html

Check out our thread on 3Si...Be warned it is 33 pages 494 replies

http://www.3si.org/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87482

·
Registered
926 Posts
Thats a fact, my cousins Crown Vic was a old cop car that ran on propain and it looked brand new under the hood.

·
Registered
364 Posts
yeah, N20= Air Propane = Fuel...

now you can run NOS and Priopane on a Diesel...:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts