TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Edge 3500 stall without the nifty drain plug.

Tomorrow I am changing out my Transgo VB for a JMOD VB and swapping over to Amsoil from regular Mercon. I would like to get rid of mostly all of the old Merc,

So what is the best way to do this, without the drain plug on the TC??

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
One option is to remove the top line to the radiator heat exchanger and run a hose over the end into a pan while someone starts the car. As soon as you get bubbles have them shut off the car.

·
Super Moderator
7,664 Posts
If the front end of the car is jacked with the rear still on the ground, then a lot of the fluid will drain out of the torque converter when you take the valve body out. Another option is to drill a small hole in the converter and then tap it with an NPT tap and put a plug in it, then you will have a drain plug in the future.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I'm going to do the drill and tap thing to my dirty dog converter whenever I do a fluid change again. Sucks how 01+ converters don't have this

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm going to do the drill and tap thing to my dirty dog converter whenever I do a fluid change again. Sucks how 01+ converters don't have this
I would NEVER do that with TC assembled & personally I'm not dissassembling my DD TC - IMO it aint worth it - I'm not sure there's enough depth clearance for Tap with TC assembled & you're not gonna know until after you drill hole & PRAY no Drilling shards went inside TC - You are gonna screw up your DD Balance job w/plug... ETC>>> - You can screw up BAD just running Pipe Plug in too far on older TC's that came with Drain Plug.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Im going to do it. I have talked with a few transmission builders about it. They said the draining fluid would rinse out any small shavings that went inside. Shavings wont even be able to enter until the bit finally breaks through, when a 15 minute stream of ATF comes running down. When tapping with NPT, I'm going to smother the tap in vaseline and clean every few turns. The people I have discussed this with also said balance would not be an issue, although I see what you are saying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts