TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1996 cougar with over 210,000 miles. I just purchased a 1994 Mark VIII engine and transmission (with ~90,000 miles on them) for a swap.

I will not be able to perform the swap for a few months and I'm storing the engine/trans in a storage unit in the meantime. I do not plan on taking the cylinder heads off.

What is the best way to keep this thing from seizing up? Please keep in mind I live in humid Louisiana.

I've asked several people and I have gotten several answers: Just turn the crank every week or so...... just put a few drops of oil in through the spark plug holes and turn the crank every week or so....just flood the whole thing with oil.... etc.

What have you all found to be the best way? Any horror stories?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
well, if its a Mk8 motor, its all aluminum which means it doesnt rust. A little bit of oil in the cylinder and some oil in the crankcase should help preserve anything you might be concerned about.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know it's all aluminum. like you said, i'm worried about the cylinders.

exactly what do you recommend? would this be pouring some oil into the cylinder head through the spark plug hole and turning the crankshaft a few times with a breaker bar? what if i put in too much oil and it's still in the cylinder head when i try to start the engine for the first time? what's too much? what's too little? how to put it in and what procedures do people recommend?

i'm looking for the particulars that people have had success with.
i'm definitely new to pulling an engine and i want to do the tccoa proud...

thanks.

bob

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Check around local airports... theres an oil spray they use on aircraft engines to pervent siezing when not used too often... apparently this is the hot set up for storing an engine....
Otherwise , bag it with a large plastic bag with sillica gel dessicant to absorb any moisture in the bag at the time you seal it up, or best of both worlds, do both ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts