TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 4.6 with some minor rust spots on the underside of the doors where the metal folds are and a few spots in the engine bay. The spots are just surface rust. But I would like to fix them before the become growing concers.

I Know that those spots will need to be taken down to bare metal then need to be preped for primer and paint.

I would like to know from people who have done this which methods worked the best and are still long lasting.

I would like to do this myself just not sure which types of products and methods I should use. As I would like it to look as though it were never touched!

·
Registered
708 Posts
heres what I would do. grind it all down, get it all out, sandblast if you can. its important to stay on the backside, dont grind around to the front of the door, or youll be painting the front too. its also important to keep the repair as small as you can. I would then seam seal it, with automotive seamsealer. use a highbuild epoxy primer to fill the grind marks. use a little filler/putty to fill the real deep ones. once thats cured, sand it with 500-600 grit, so its really smooth. scuff well past the primer with grey scotchbrite. mask well, base where its needed, blend out the color, clear past the base color, but end it where the scuff ends. whats most important is that you do all this in one shot. not over two days or more. thats when moisture sets in and youre screwed. if youy cant do it all at once, dont do it. get yourself a "hamburger wheel" to do the grinding, its a black, round drill attachment, walmart even sells them, looks sponge like, really rough. best tool for the job.

sounds confusing, so let me know if this sounds fuzzy, and ill clarify.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lets see if I cought it all
1) Grind and clean all rust off
2) Seam seal with Auto seam sealer
3) Epoxy Primer
3b) Fill with putty if needed
4) Sand with 500-600
5) scuff with Grey Scothbrite
6) Spray Base Color- fan/blend out
7) End with clear

Sound reasonable, now I just need to find the paints and primers any that would be recommended?

Thanks for the fast response! :uppoint:

·
Registered
708 Posts
alright, ill add to your list some.

step 2.5 will be use two light coats of acid etch prime to restore factory corrosion protection. sand with 180 before this.

For step 3, fill with putty and sand level before the primer, not after.

step 4.5, clean door up both sides %100 all the way up, the trick to clean clear blends is a clean panel.

for step 6, the base should provide full coverage only as far as nessicary, and the "fan out" should be no more tha 3'4 inches. you WILL have to clear at least past ANY base. when masking, youll make a little paper pocket over where the clear blend will be, so no base gets up there, ya know?

for step 4, make that 400 grit

step 8, put clear blender in the gun and piss some over the clear blend, and watch the clear edge disappear. this spot will be about halfway up the door , by the latch. the other side doesnt need blender cause up by the hinge, you wont see it anyway.

Step 9, c/s and buff if you desire %100 invisibility of the repair, "like it was never touched"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts