TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, gang.

I'm curious about the pros and cons of some of the rear-mount (behind the rear axle) turbocharger systems I've seen pop up for sale recently. Other than a possible lag problem from having the air charge be routed through 10+ feet of tubing, and then the possible heat energy loss of not having the turbo as close as possible to the exhaust manifolds....does anyone here have some idea as to how effective they are, in comparison to traditional setups?

Thanks a bunch. I don't plan on using such a system, but I have a customer who wants to install such a unit on his 2006 Mustang GT....

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know a couple people who run them. They are surprising in the fact that lag isnt nearly as bad as you would think.

You can get some info on them here.

http://www.ststurbo.com/

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
cons more pipe...more wieght, more chances for leaks, hot side and cold side, longer oil feeds, etc... otherwise none that I'm aware of. They run cooler remote mounted due to the longer pipe.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Sir William if im not mistaken has a rear mounted setup on his ride.

Zero

·
Registered
875 Posts
I talked to the boys at STS when i was looking at my options. They told me rear mounted or mounted in place of the third cat works well on the tbirds.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
One con I that keeps coming to my mind is that it's more exposed to the elements. A puddle splashing up on a hot turbine housing just might really wreck the day. Maybe they aren't quite as exposed as what I'm picturing though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I asked STS about that and they claim they've never seen that happen yet, but they sell em, so not sure if that's a fact or a sales pitch. ;)

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
unless you submerge the entire turbine housing under water a little bit of water splashing shouldn't hurt it as thousands have ran remote mount setups with great sucsess. One con I can think of is relying on an oil pump to return the oil and the STS pumps are expensive. You can use a turbowerx shurflow pump and they work great. For some cars its a great solution but for a 06 mustang that has available conventional kits for it I would go with that.
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/turbonetics-turbo-kit-for-05-07-mustang-gts.html
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=139

The cost for a Hellion system is about the same for a STS kit it not cheaper.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
The water splashing on the turbine isn't a big deal as the max temps the turbo housing will see is only about 650-750....not the 1200+ that you see up near the block. I did get some issues with water as on the Bird, the ONLY place to mount the turbo is behind one tire or the other....unless you move the fuel tank or cut out the spare tire well. To combat that, I added a 90 degree elbow and am mounting the filter in the rear of the trunk. This will keep it clean and dry.

The loss of energy in the exhaust isn't a big deal as you run smaller turbine than you'd normally run if the turbo were further forward....so it's able to spool on less total exhaust flow.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The water splashing on the turbine isn't a big deal as the max temps the turbo housing will see is only about 650-750....not the 1200+ that you see up near the block. I did get some issues with water as on the Bird, the ONLY place to mount the turbo is behind one tire or the other....unless you move the fuel tank or cut out the spare tire well. To combat that, I added a 90 degree elbow and am mounting the filter in the rear of the trunk. This will keep it clean and dry.

The loss of energy in the exhaust isn't a big deal as you run smaller turbine than you'd normally run if the turbo were further forward....so it's able to spool on less total exhaust flow.
Would you mind providing a little bit more detail about your setup? What size turbo, how much boost, what was your HP gain, ect....?

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I'm trying to find the turbo specs, but they're on a different PC me thinks.

I ran about 5lbs of boost. I didn't get it on a dyno or to the track once it was dialed in, but I can tell you that it would pull against Tony Cerno's Super Coupe on the highway in 2nd and 3rd. That car was dynoed at 330hp, so you can get a pretty good idea on it. I was running PI intake and cams along with 30lb/hr injectors at that point.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
To combat that, I added a 90 degree elbow and am mounting the filter in the rear of the trunk. This will keep it clean and dry.
Thats a good idea! It would be very unlikely to suck in water, which would be my biggest fear. Being able to use a trunk-mounted intake would be a plus of running a rear turbo setup. I am kinda thinking of doing something with this, but I know very little about boosting things.
-Rob

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
cons more pipe...more wieght, more chances for leaks, hot side and cold side, longer oil feeds, etc... otherwise none that I'm aware of. They run cooler remote mounted due to the longer pipe.
The biggest con is that they can easily be cut off of your exhaust in 5 minutes with a saws-all while your in your local Wal-Mart.....No thanks, I'll take something safe under my hood :rolleyes:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've always been intrigued by the STS kits. When I was looking to buy my C5 Vette, I was seriously considering this route, but I never went that way. I'll tell you a good person to talk to about this (and not to take away from the vast knowledge of other members on this site) is ssrogers. He is a really good freind of mine and is vastly knowledgable. He may be a newbie, but the boy knows his stuff. Give him a PM and I am sure he would be happy to lend an opinion, but be prepared for a novel in terms of the explination. :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
The biggest con is that they can easily be cut off of your exhaust in 5 minutes with a saws-all while your in your local Wal-Mart.....No thanks, I'll take something safe under my hood :rolleyes:
Great... I'd forgotten that... I've been thinking about a turbo 'specially after seeing the results around here, but you just reminded me there was a rash of a$$#@les around here a while back doing just that... then again they were cutting cats for the precious metals as well... build the 'bird an leave it home...:rofl:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I like turbos, but I prefer them with manual transmissions. To combat turbo lag, downshifts are a necessity... the time to drop from 5th to 3rd to get a nice pass on slower traffic is more than enough time to make up for any turbo lag.

Since it's so difficult to get a manual in the Tbirds (unless you've got a supercoupe, and if you do why turbo it?) I wouldn't put one in mine, but that's just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts