TCCoA Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,298 Posts
I actually would think the auto would be better suited to the turbo. With a manual, every time you shift, its going to bog down and lag, then spool up and pull. With an auto, it keeps the engine loaded, so once you start going, you'll never feel the lag again until after you lift off.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This = True
I think it depends on the type of driving you do...

For example, I don't care for drag racing, I like twisty roads and power at need. My experience with Turbos were with a 1985 Cougar XR-7 5 speed, a 1985 SVO Mustang 5 speed, and a 1987 Merkur XR4Ti with an auto.

Essentially, the motors are the same across the board, so the main difference was the transmission. The Cougar and SVO both liked to drop from 5th to 3rd to get right into the power band, and I never noticed any lag when dropping two gears. If I only dropped down to fourth, it took longer for boost to build, but the difference in RPM wasn't as dramatic between 5th to 4th as it was from 5th to 3rd.

The Merkur did better off from a standing start due to the ability to preload the turbo, but in the twistys the car seemed to hunt for gears, but my overall dislike of performance driving in an auto may be clouding my memory.

So let's just say that my personal preference is a manual with a turbo. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have had rear mounted on my stang and now have it in the engine bay and i can tell you I would never go to rear mount again....IMO

·
Registered
71 Posts
I was considering a remote turbo.... Do share???

the matterials needed.....tuning is diff. and took us way longer and ...rear mounted exposes vital parts to road hazzards.....running oil lines is no fun and you will have to run at least 1.75 (i ran 2 extra quarts in mine) more quarts of oil do to the long oil line and the return line..also the drain of oil from the turbo has to be assisted by pump since gravity return is not an option any longer....also the amount of cold side piping is insane espec. if you run an IC.

·
Registered
91 Super Coupe
1,339 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Nice vids David..

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.