TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering besides the weight you save doing the explorer swap what do you need to change to just make the current 95 NPI a PI and whats the difference when its all said and done?

thanks

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If you do the PI intake vs. a PI engine, you need to do all the same supporting mods.

besides saving about 75 pounds, a explorer 4.6 will likely have a lot less miles. I have an explorer block in my car, and it sits too high in the front. It did it stock, but now it just looks horrid. Good thing I have a new set of springs for it.

·
Registered
767 Posts
engine swap is easier,head swap was a pita.

as for differences in performance i think it would about even out,only difference is with pi heads on a npi block it ups the compression so i would think if you want to ever run any boost,go with pi engine,otherwise the higher compression and boost may equal kablammo.

seat of the pants dyno to me=the same

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
It would be easier to just drop a whole PI motor in.Cost of droping a complete motor vs PI head swap is roughly about the same.Sometimes droping the motor is cheaper.As far as performance goes,A tuned PI at 9:1 is about equal to a Head swaped car at 10:1.At least from what I hear.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
You also need the intake for another 200.00

Edit:You have a 95 that requires you to swap everything on top from a 96 , 97 .

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
so heads and cams are everything though? so if you got the 99mustang GT heads and 99mustang GT cams, thats the swap correct?
That's a start. You will also need:
96/97 mn12 fuel rails and lines or 96-98 crown vic fuel rails
PI intake manifold
96/97 mn12 plenum
96/97 mn12 intake tube
96-98 mn12 or mustang throttle body
PI coolant hose, 96/97 mn12 thermostat housing
96/97 mn12 cruise and throttle cables, 96/97 mn12 vaccum lines
96/97 EGR parts

Plus other parts I am forgetting at the moment. If you do a search you can find a fairly complete list.

-Miller

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, but that stuff you would need anyways if you were dropping the engine, but i mean just for it to actually be a PI swap like the components that make it PI are the intake, and cam, and heads? just so i can call tomarrow and get a price on it to compare to what prices i have on other directions

·
Registered
4,407 Posts

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
PI swap vs PI intake and cams is a bit... lofty...

The PI engine swap is lighter, lower compression, and not nearly as difficult to do as you'd think... and is definately the answer if you want the option of supercharging in the future, its fairly affordable, the handling is improved from lightening up the front end, overall its a great swap.

PI intake and cams... I wouldn't even consider... lots of people run the PI intake on NPI heads and some throw PI cams on NPI heads... which you can do but theres mis-matched ports and rtv and no real promiss that the rtv will properly hold... I'm very old school with this... ports should line up properly for proper flow. I know many of people on here run PI intakes on NPI heads... I'm just not a fan of it, I don't trust a dab of rtv between my cooling port and intake port. Especially here in vegas.

Full PI top end swap... (PI Intake, PI heads, PI cams) I've done about 6 times now... the power you get from the higher compression will make it run right up there with the lighter full pi engine swap. Doing the top end swap is truely a direct swap.. everything lines up... ports match... it can be done over the weekend if you know what your doing... you don't even need to pull the motor from the car.... this swap can also dramastically range in price according to where you get your heads, if they are complete, where you get your intake, gaskets, bolts, etc.. your handling probably wont improve much though, if at all.

I'm bias to the full PI top end swap but I will be doing a full PI engine swap later this year to one of my cars.

And of course Lonnie is the man when it comes to tuning your newly higher powered beast for optimum power gains :tongue:

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
how come hes the person to tune these cars?
because he cares about every last one of his clients

and tunes right

and if it doesn't work

he works until it does

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
You wouldnt be able to put the PI cams and intake on your 95 heads, there is an issue with the valve springs, so that option is out.

Either way you'll need the fuel rails for 96/97, or I think something from a Crown vic would work .. plus the EGR - I think the explorer EGR tube can be made to work also. Plus you need a 96/97 Throttle cable.

If you buy the parts for the head swap, you'll need heads and intake, plus the throttle body, plenum, and above mentioned items.

If you buy an 02-03 explorer engine, it should come with the EGR, Plenum and Throttle body so you can scratch those off your list.

You might end up spending about the same amount for either setup ..

- Dan

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
If you do the PI intake vs. a PI engine, you need to do all the same supporting mods.

besides saving about 75 pounds, a explorer 4.6 will likely have a lot less miles. I have an explorer block in my car, and it sits too high in the front. It did it stock, but now it just looks horrid. Good thing I have a new set of springs for it.
In addition, I would seem to think the 94/95 guys would save even more weight due to replacing the huge aluminum monstosity with the composite intake and aluminum plenum. When I do my swap, I'll have to weigh the different intakes to get a better idea how much additional weight is lost compared to the 96/97s.

-Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.