TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy,

I am hoping to pick your brains for a minute. I have a 94 Mustang GT (AODE) and recently tossed a 4R trans pan on it (just a stock replacement 4R pan). The issue is that the pick-up cavity is now the low point under my car. I drag the exhaust on speed bumps occasionally but now that cavity will be dragging before the cats do.

Is this an issue for you guys after you lower your cars? Has anyone come up with a solution (a skidplate or something to protect the pan)?

I figure I could come up with something robust and crude but if there's an elegant solution out there, I'd rather pursue that.

Thank you for any thoughts you might have.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
I've driven Mustangs with these pans for many years and have never drug them, and I never drug the exhaust either.

Sounds like you have some kind of lowering springs, which is what you need to fix, not the trans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To the moderator, thanks for your time. The car has a Prokit. It doesnt matter how high or low the car is, the simple fact of the matter is that my trans pan is now lower than everything else in the car and I'd like to find a way to protect the pan.

I know I've seen some pics of very low T-birds (Bruce's comes to mind IIRC) on the Mustang boards. That's why I came here for assistance and ideas.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
Usually with these cars, the exhaust hangs a bit lower than the sump on the trans pan. I don't know of anyone that has made up a skid plate for the trans pan.

-Rod

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. One of the mod-motor Mustang guys just mentioned that the mod-motor drivetrain sits higher than my Windsor-based driveline does, and that was probably the difference.
I'll rig something up to try and protect the pan. In what I've seen of aftermarket pans, they are not cheap. The original AODE pan was short for a reason, and then there were cavitation issues, so it seems the depth might be necessary.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
maybe you could get taller motor/trans mounts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts